Decoder Error playing WTV files created by MCEBuddy

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
mrbeu

HTPC Specs: Show details

Decoder Error playing WTV files created by MCEBuddy

Post by mrbeu » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi

I have been using MCEBuddy with Windows 7 (32-bit) Media Center for years without issue. I just got a Blu-Ray player and installed the Power2Go software which came with it. Now I get a Decoder Error when I try to play the WTV files created by MCEBuddy on the PC from within Media Center. I do not get an error when I try to play the same file on the same PC using Media Player or VLC. In addition, the same files play fine still on my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix what Power2Go seems to have broke?

Thanks

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm

1. Best Solution
    1. Restore your computer to a state before you installed Power2Go.
    2. Do not install Power2Go again.
  2. Alternative Solution
    1. Uninstall Power2Go.
    2. Do not install Power2Go again.

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I don't have a restore point which goes back to the install date of Power2Go. And uninstalling Power2Go did not change anything.

Since your message I also tried uninstalling WMC and reinstalling but the problem persists.

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:18 pm

I also noticed one more thing which I wasn't aware of. While Windows Media Player does play the video, there is no audio. VLC plays the file with video and audio.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:10 am

If you don't have a system image you can restore, you're pretty much out of luck. It's obvious that Power2Go did something to the system codecs, but it's almost impossible to figure out exactly what it did so you can undo it. Even if it was possible, there's no telling how long it would take. At this point it's probably easier to wipe the OS and start fresh.

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Thank you for trying.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:46 am

http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

If it's already installed go to settings and hit reset all

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 pm

In my search for a solution I did come across the shark codecs but to be honest I was a little afraid. I wasn't sure if it was legit and safe and seemed like overkill for my problem. I was also concerned that I might make things even worse.
I assume you have used this. Is it safe?
Can it add codecs but just running the install or is there configuration and tweaking required?
Has anyone tried uninstalling this and knows that it doesn't mess up WMC?

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:13 pm

I've been using these packages for several years and the biggest concern there is, is to go slow during installation and uncheck or skip what you don't want.
I've tried several individual settings tweaks but always end up resetting to default.
The advanced package will install both 32 and 64 bit if applicable and work fine for most unchanged.
I will tell you that every once in a while another program installation or update will change a codec setting and I will go to the shark007 settings and reset all.
I can play anything from anywhere with this stuff. Only other thing that did what I wanted was VLC media player but it was a hassle trying to make it do everything.
Couldn't find an integration through Media Center, and I do like my Microsoft Media Center Remote and Keyboard. One remote to rule them all.

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Sounds good. I will give it a try and report back.
Thanks

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:02 am

What version of MCEbuddy are you using? Apparently WTV profiles were broken prior to version 2.3.15. The latest free version 2.3.13 isn't fixed. You'll have to donate for a certain amount to become a part of the early access premium program to get access to the recent versions.

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/540759

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:14 am

I installed the latest shark007. It did not correct my problem. I tested right after the install, after a reboot, after checking that box in the middle at the bottom, after unchecking it and after clicking the Rest All button.

I am not comfortable with how it wants to be run as administrator either but this is where we are.

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:27 am

tapout72 wrote:What version of MCEbuddy are you using? Apparently WTV profiles were broken prior to version 2.3.15. The latest free version 2.3.13 isn't fixed. You'll have to donate for a certain amount to become a part of the early access premium program to get access to the recent versions.

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/540759
Thanks so much for pointing this out. I just don't know if applies since I have been using .13 for many, many months without any problems. Now after installing Power2Go I get "Decoder Error". Unless there is just some major coincidence that something else got installed at the same time to trigger that .13 WTV "broken" issue.

I guess I will have to watch all those previously MCEBuddy processed files via VLC and stop MCEB. I know I could pay for .15 but it really was a minor value add for me. It is just a bummer because I have probably 30 shows to watch outside of WMC.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:25 am

I've been going through the same thing. When I researched this a week ago. I saw somewhere reference a windows update referencing KB2670838. Not sure uninstalling the update may help fix it. I haven't had enough time to thoroughly troubleshoot the entire issue myself. I'm just living with it for now. I can play those recorded programs on an extender or other media player without issue so at least there is a workaround. Let me know if you get any further on a resolution.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:34 pm

mrbeu wrote:I installed the latest shark007. It did not correct my problem. I tested right after the install, after a reboot, after checking that box in the middle at the bottom, after unchecking it and after clicking the Rest All button.

I am not comfortable with how it wants to be run as administrator either but this is where we are.
Apologies.
Run as Admin is necessary for system wide effect.
I haven't used MCE Buddy in some time,(too many profiles, not enough time) so will say good luck.

mrbeu

Post by mrbeu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 pm

tapout72 wrote:I've been going through the same thing. When I researched this a week ago. I saw somewhere reference a windows update referencing KB2670838. Not sure uninstalling the update may help fix it. I haven't had enough time to thoroughly troubleshoot the entire issue myself. I'm just living with it for now. I can play those recorded programs on an extender or other media player without issue so at least there is a workaround. Let me know if you get any further on a resolution.
OK. For those playing at home... I got fed up and decided to look at this solution closer. I found that even though it is an old update this was not installed on my PC until around the time that I installed the other blu-ray software. So I decided to try to uninstall update KB2670838. Well it does not tell you when you click uninstall but when it was done with the uninstall and reboot, I found that it uninstalled IE 10 as well. I am now on IE 9 and the problem of not being able to watch the files created by MCEBuddy is gone :clap: . It does not seem to have broken anything else. I just set my default browser to chrome.

Thanks for all your help.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:37 am

Yet another reason for me to hate IE.