Best fomat for DVD rips

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
tombardo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Best fomat for DVD rips

Post by tombardo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 am

I've been unable to find reliable current information on supported file types for 7MC and extenders online. I'd like to rip my DVDs and be able to play them on the 7MC computer, an xbox 360 extender, and a dma 2100 extender. A few specifics for what I'd like:

Quality - I want to maintain the highest level of quality, especially maintain 5.1 surround
Size - doesn't matter
Transcode - don't want to transcode movies on the fly to an extender, seems like a bad idea
FF/Rew - would like to have this, I know DVD chapters are not really possible

I know there is plenty of software out there, but what I'm looking for are specific formats, settings, etc. that work well. Thanks.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am

To maintain quality and without caring about size I'd say mpeg2 was your best bet. That is the native format for DVD so there would be no quality loss at all extracting the film. You can optionally then put it into a dvr-ms/wtv file, but straight mpeg2 will work on all the machines you mention.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:22 pm

I would suggest DVR-MS, which is an MPEG-2 container. You can use VideoRedo to convert VOB to DVR-MS.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

tombardo

Post by tombardo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Awesome, thanks everyone.

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:17 pm

VideoReDo will also create a DVR-MS file direct from DVD as long as it is free of encryption. It can also create WTV files. Both allow full FF/REW and play on extenders.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

stuppid

Post by stuppid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:27 pm

I would also suggest dvr-ms. Wtv is good also as long as you are only using extenders. I have a couple of extenders and also a western digital tv live plus and it will play dvr-ms but not wtv. I can use playto but that is a pain in the arse.