Re-encode wtv for smaller file size.

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
setabs138

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re-encode wtv for smaller file size.

Post by setabs138 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Here is my setup. I have a tivo in the living room. I use Stream, Baby, Stream to stream videos from a PC. The is PC setup with an HD Homerun. I would like to take the files I record and re-encode them to get the file size lower for streaming. The problem is I want it to be automatic.

I have tried DVRMSToolbox but a I am totally confused by the 10 programs it installs with 10 different interfaces and no Wiki on how to setup what I want.

I have tried a couple of programs that will monitor a folder and then convert but the problem is If I start recording a show it will start processing it and fail because WMC is still recording to it.

I also looked into making a powershell script but the problem is knowing when WMC is done recording a show.

any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 pm

About the only thing I could suggest for you is something similar to what I use:

Note: Credit for the following goes to this site:
http://www.wonkygibbon.co.uk/263/video/ ... d-mpeg.htm

First, create two scripts:

Code: Select all

@echo off

echo "Create wtv file list..."
dir /b *.wtv > d:\wtvlist.txt

echo "Process wtv file list..."
for /f "usebackq delims=" %%a IN (d:\wtvlist.txt) do call wtvrunner.bat "%%a"

echo "Cleaning Up"
del d:\wtvlist.txt
Save this as Convertall.Bat in the location where your wtv files are being stored.

Code: Select all

SET infile=%~1
SET outfile=%infile:~0,-4%
SET "outfile=%outfile% - DVRMS.dvr-ms"
echo %outfile%
c:\windows\ehome\WTVconverter.exe "%infile%"
IF EXIST "%outfile%" del "%infile%"
Save this as wtvrunner.bat in the same location as ConvertAll.bat.

Set up a scheduled time when you know that no programs are being recorded to run the ConvertAll.bat file. This creates a list of files with the wtv extension, and then converts each listed file to DVRMS format. You'll probably want to set up another batch file to move the converted files to a separate folder.

If there is a chance you could be recording at any given time of the day, there probably isn't an automatic solution.

Then I use MCEBuddy, scheduled to run during the day (while I'm at work), to convert to a lower file size. Set the source location to the location of your DVRMS files and set the destination location to where ever your 7MC video folder is located.

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it might get you going in the right direction.

-Wolf sends

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Wolfshadw wrote: Then I use MCEBuddy, scheduled to run during the day (while I'm at work), to convert to a lower file size. Set the source location to the location of your DVRMS files and set the destination location to where ever your 7MC video folder is located.

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it might get you going in the right direction.

-Wolf sends
Does MCEBuddy support conversion directly from WTV files?

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:52 pm

I've heard that the newer version does. However, it doesn't work well enough for stripping out commercials for my liking. So I convert to DVRMS and manually strip the commercials out using DVRMSEditor (or whatever it's called). Then I move the edited DVRMS files over to the MCEBuddy source folder.

-Wolf sends

setabs138

Post by setabs138 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:59 pm

I believe thats what the second batch file is for. What he is doing and suggesting can be done with a program that I started testing last night and as long as the files aren't in use by WMC it works. I'll post the name of the program later as it has slipped my mind and I can't find it googling. http://videoscripts.wordpress.com/how-to-use/

I did find this program though. http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net/conten ... 40014ada42 I'll have to try it tonight or tomorrow it claims to monitor a program to see if its in use and keep track of what has already been encoded.
Last edited by setabs138 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:33 pm

MCEBuddy does indeed convert directly from .wtv files.

MCEBuddy can also be configured to do a second pass, to refine the conversion and make it even smaller.

MCEBuddy uses the commercial markers from ShowAnalyzer, which is superb. Perfect? No. But manually working every file by hand? I don't have time for that. One might as well dump 7MC completely and just watch straight TV, commercials and all.

setabs138

Post by setabs138 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:41 am

I am using MCEBuddy to strip commercials out and convert. Is the beta the one that supports WTV? I had to right click and convert the files I had into DVR-MS before it started working on them.

I converted a 1 hour '60 minutes' recording from a 6GB file to 500MB file and cut out 15 minutes of commercials.