How to Enable MKV Playback in Windows Media Center

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm

It's been a long time since I tried it, but I thought there were subtitle settings in ffdshow.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:26 pm

^ +1

I've set up a couple of machines with ffdshow and Media Control in order to give subs - which can be selected with your remote.

http://mediacontrolmce.sourceforge.net/

Bit of a faff to get working but it's good once set up (if not exactly minimal!)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:36 pm

It should be noted that the subtitles only work on the TV that is connected to the PC. Unfortunately, this does not work on extenders. If it worked, it would have been my personal "holy grail".

Currently, I'm waiting to see if the Media Browser 3 team can get "soft" subtitles working on their Roku channel. I was told that it is currently possible to turn subtitles on when first starting a video on the MB3 Roku channel, and that Roku recently made a change to firmware that allows streaming subs outside the video stream. This would allow turning subs on/off while watching a video. They said that they plan to implement that new feature soon. If so, then I would be inclined to use MB3 and Roku boxes for all my movies. Currently, I don't have very many ripped movies, but if I could find a way to watch them with decent picture quality and the ability to turn subtitles on/off while viewing, then I would starting ripping like a fiend!

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:29 pm

I know, old thread. I'm just adding an out of the box thinking option for extenders, in case someone has a newer TV, doesn't want or cant find software changes/additions to add subtitles, or just needs them once.

Newer TV's allow auto captions when sound is muted.
I am running echo's with optical sound into soundbar/surround.
If I MUTE my tv speaker, I get captions on screen. I still have sound from my soundbar.
It actually works if I mute the echo or the sounbar as well..... but then you'd not have any sound to go with your subtitles.

Not as good looking as built in subtitles, but for a minimalist, one time, or once in a great while approach, it will work for tv. IF, you have a newer tv with the option. I haven't tried it with ripped movies, but from my understanding of the function, it should work.