DVR multiple audio streams

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
Dash323

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVR multiple audio streams

Post by Dash323 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Hello to all. I'm new to the WMC world and just got my Ceton card.

I DVR a documentary that's available in both English and Spanish. What I want to do is convert it to MP4 or any other file format so that I can send it to family and friends. Thing is my parents don't speak English and my friends don't speak Spanish, hence I'm in a conundrum. Is there anyway I can encode it so that it keeps both audio streams? I've seen it on some videos before so it should be possible but I just don't know how to do it. Something like how in VLC you can choose the audio track. Is there any way to do this from a WMC DVR file? I've Googled and can't find anything related to what I'm trying to do.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm not sure but you might be able to get both audio tracks by using something like videoredo (paid for app), or even dvrmstoolbox (free).

You might need to run it twice - once for each track and then create an .mkv file with one video stream and two audio streams.

There are ways of manually dumping streams from a .wtv file using graphstudio but it can be tricky extracting the right audio track. It involved setting language preferences in wmc and wmp before running graphstudio with the dump.ax filter when I last did it. I'll try and find a link to the (really old) thread.

Of course, this all assumes that the recording can be edited (not copy protected).
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Dash323

Post by Dash323 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks a lot for the incredibly quick reply! Fastest I've encountered on any forum. Normally I have to wait a day or two for the first one :P

How can I tell if its not copy protected? Also, is there a site that can show how to use DVRMST?

EDIT: Just right clicked the file and saw this option to convert to .dvr. Clicked it and said it was protected so I assume what I want to do is impossible?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 am

Dash323 wrote:Thanks a lot for the incredibly quick reply! Fastest I've encountered on any forum. Normally I have to wait a day or two for the first one :P

How can I tell if its not copy protected? Also, is there a site that can show how to use DVRMST?

EDIT: Just right clicked the file and saw this option to convert to .dvr. Clicked it and said it was protected so I assume what I want to do is impossible?
Some Cable Companies (TWC in particular) apply copy protection to just about everything. If a recording is copy protected, then you can't do anything at all with it, you can only watch it on the PC that it was recorded on.

When you open the recording in WMC , and you're on the Details page before you actually start playing the recording, there should be an indicator at the bottom of the page if it's a copy-protected recording. I wouldn't rely on the error message when you tried to convert it to DVR-MS.

If it isn't actually copy protected, you could just send them the WTV file if they have Windows 7 - WMC is included in Windows 7 Home and Windows 7 Pro, even if most users were never even aware of it.