Remux MP4 to WTV?

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
cncb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remux MP4 to WTV?

Post by cncb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:26 pm

I am trying to remux .MP4 files (H264 video and AAC audio) to .WTV so they will show up in the Recorded TV list in WMC. I have tried using ToDVRMS but it just hangs forever while creating the WTV file. If I just kill the conversion (after several hours) there is a WTV file of a reasonable size but it is not playable. Any recommendations on how to do this conversion? Thanks.

jerky33

Post by jerky33 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Not sure that AAC audio is supported I know that AC3 is for sure, I've always used H.264/AC3 based MKV's with ToDVRMS and have had decent success converting to WTV's. You may want to use tsMuxeR GUI to demux the audio out, convert that to AC3, then use GDSMux (comes with Haali/Matroska media splitter) and mux the AC3 audio and the video from the original MP4 into a new MKV file.
Then use ToDVRMS to convert the MKV to WTV.
No sure what app would be best for converting the audio, I rely on RipBot264 (which uses a whole host of different apps to perform the different conversion tasks) for most of my transcoding.
The upside to this process is that you are only transcoding the audio, which should only take a few min, and that the original video remains in tact.
This conversion time should not be much as most of the process is determined by how fast your storage is, not your processor per se.
(I would recommend limiting the AC3 audios bit-rate to 384kbps, I find that the extra overhead of higher bitrates contributes to poor playback on extenders.)

Note that there is no meta-data captured in the resulting WTV, not even video length is preserved after it's played the first time.

jerky33

Post by jerky33 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Per the link below the Stream Buffer Engine (SBE) which the wtv container leverages for it's stream capturing only support MPEG-1 Layer 2 (mp2) or Dolby Digita AC-3 audio.
So either you'll need to convert that audio stream to one of those format prior to attempting to mux the file into a wtv container.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 88788.aspx

cncb

Post by cncb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks. I did eventually figure out the problems I was having. I needed to add the -w and -v options to prevent ToDVRMS from hanging. As I recall it did convert AAC ok but the picture would occasionally freeze while the audio still played. Converting to AC3 with ffmpeg before the WTV conversion seemed to solve playback problems.