Win7 64-bit Codec Disaster - Help needed!

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
neilll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win7 64-bit Codec Disaster - Help needed!

Post by neilll » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:11 am

Recently installed 64-bit Win7 MC on an SSD after many many years of trouble free playback on 32-bit version (went to 64-bit version to fix memory issues)

Now when I playback old XviD stuff with AC3 audio Media Center totally crashes (eshell.exe) and drops me back to Windows desktop.
MKV's I can get working (sort of) but I cannot pause, skip or stop them once they start playing.

I have tried the following:

MKV
LAV Filters - Manually installed, MC still wouldn't see containers, then ran x64 Reg file - still no joy.
Haali + x64 Reg file - MKV Containers recongnised, cannot pause, skip or stop MKV files
CCCP Codec Pack - still no joy.

XviD (AC3)
AC3 Filter http://ac3filter.net/wiki/Download_AC3Filter + XviD Codec http://www.xvid.org/ - MC still crashes totally :shock:

Please can someone help with a working Win7/64-bit codec configuration?
Regards,
Neill

Tester

Post by Tester » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:12 pm

I can understand all the hate towards codec packs, but Sharks64 works very well for me.
Clean Win7x64 install, Sharks64 install with a couple of tweaks and my system plays everything I throw at it.

Tester

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:28 pm

I can understand all the hate towards codec packs, but Sharks64 works very well for me.
Clean Win7x64 install, Sharks64 install with a couple of tweaks and my system plays everything I throw at it.
I couldn't agree more! Shark is just so easy. Don't install any of the bloatware that comes with it and read the forums to get it to exactly what you want. Anything you need to do with codecs can be done with shark. ALSO THE BEST PART ABOUT SHARK is if you mess anything up then if you uninstall it, everything goes right back to standard before you changed anything with shark. It took me a little while to get all codecs working the way I liked with the best sound coming from my receiver but any time something would get messed up like live tv, then I just uninstalled and started over. Shark007 is the best solution by far.

neilll

Post by neilll » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 am

Tester wrote:I can understand all the hate towards codec packs, but Sharks64 works very well for me.

Tester
Thanks for the tip, will try it out. What are the tweaks by the way?

If it helps I'm using an ATI HD5450 via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver, then to my panel via HDMI (so I can bitstream)
Regards,
Neill