How to disable AC3 Filter on specific playback devices

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
LuckyDay

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to disable AC3 Filter on specific playback devices

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 am

Ok, this should be an easy fix but I can't find the solution.

I've got a regular old TV with HDMI coming into it from the PC, Stereo speakers.

I've also got a pair of 7.1 Wireless headphones.

I need the TV to disable AC3 filter from being used when it is the default playback device. AC3 Filter settings are set to 7.1, which when active on the stereo speakers makes all of the audio on my MKV files extremely low.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:03 am

Anyone?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 pm

The second selection list sets the sample output format. Filter will automatically convert any input format into defined one. When decoding the filter defines decoding precision. At present 16/24/32 bit and floating-point formats are supported.

“SPDIF” checkbox switches the digital output mode. This mode is required only when digital (SPDIF) connection and external hardware decoder/receiver exists. In this case the coded stream will be transferred to external decoder without any modifications (if the decoder supports this format) or will be recoded into the format clear for decoder (for more information refer to 7.3. SPDIF ). Current digital output mode status is shown in parentheses:

disabled digital output mode is inactive, there is an ordinary decoded PCM stream transferred to the output. When SPDIF is on, the filter always attempts to use digital transfer. And only in case when digital transfer is impossible (audio card driver rejects to process the indicated format) ordinary PCM is transferred. For instance, many audio cards support digital transfer only when the sample rate is 48000 Hz but do not support widespread format of 44100 Hz.passthroughpass-through transfer mode (for AC3, DTS and MPEG Audio formats only). In this case, encoded digital stream is transferred without any modifications and decoding is performed by external decoder. In this mode the filer does not display current activity and all filter settings do not affect sound (since sound is not decoded and the coded data is transferred as is).AC3 encodeAC3 encoding mode. In this mode filter performs decoding of the input stream and post-processing (all filter options are active including changing of speakers number). Then the resulted signal is encoded into AC3 and transfer into external hardware decoder in digital format. This mode is required to transfer multi-channel audio in formats, which are not supported by external decoder (e.g., AAC or OGG Vorbis) or in case when the external decoder does not support stereo decomposition into multi-channel format. Remember that AC3 encoding leads to quality loss, therefore it is preferable to use analogue connection for multi-channel formats.
Formats supported by the external decoder are shown in the system settings page in “SPDIF passthrough” section (refer to 5.5 System settings ).

does this help? Check the spdif box basically I think.....
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Or, turn the sound up....
Lee

Webbe

Post by Webbe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

I have the same problem, I use MCE for movies (until I get a cablecard tuner) and when I switch my reciever to media center I have to turn the volume almost to max.

I'll play around with setting and such, see if I can figure anything out.