Dumped Shark007 for Minimal Config

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
gofeet

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dumped Shark007 for Minimal Config

Post by gofeet » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

To provide some context, here's my hardware and software setup:
  • NVidia ION platform (Zotac board) with the latest drivers.
  • HDMI video and audio out direct to TV.
  • Win7 x64 using Windows Media Center exclusively with the MediaBrowser add-on.
Shark007 appealed to me and I had been using it for a year or so, but I just kept running into problems getting playback to work with certain videos. AC3 audio is what forced my hand. Just could not get it to work after researching and trying several proposed solutions. Apparently decoding AC3 on x64 is a huge PITA.

After dumping Shark007, I learned how much overkill it is for WMC playback even with broad codec coverage. No fancy filtering or anything required for me. Just playback that works. Most videos work out of the box. It's primarily MKVs and videos with AC3 audio that need help (assuming that you don't have hardware AC3 decoding).

Here's what I replaced Shark007 with:
  • Haali Media Splitter - takes care of MKVs.
  • AC3Filter - decodes AC3. Default config pretty much does the job, if this what you're after. Might need to change # of speakers.
  • Xvid Codec - yes WMC can handle this out of the box, but for the AC3 decoding you have to switch to an external decoder. This could of course be interchangeable with any other compatible codec.
  • Preferred Filter Tweaker for Windows 7 - the key to enabling AC3 decoding in WMC for AVIs. Change the preferred 64-bit decoders for XVID and DIVX to Xvid. Then disable Media Foundation (64-bit) for AVIs.

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:27 am

I recently replaced Shark007 for the LAV Filters. They even include their own splitter - no need for Haali.

Blu-ray playback etc is taken care of natively within MC.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:05 pm

G'day Aaron, so your blu-ray stuff is still ok? How does it handle 3D blu-ray?

Chairs fella!! :)
Rich

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:12 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:G'day Aaron, so your blu-ray stuff is still ok? How does it handle 3D blu-ray?

Chairs fella!! :)
I'm afraid I don't have any 3D blu-rays or anything to play them on! But regular blu-ray has been working brilliantly since installation. I'm definately sticking with them; TMT5 is but a distant memory.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Sounds a good plan!!
Rich

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:51 pm

dduk wrote: But regular blu-ray has been working brilliantly since installation. I'm definately sticking with them; TMT5 is but a distant memory.
Are you using ISO's? or could you?
Can you bitstream audio?
Are you using MyMovies? or could you??
Any other "got ya's?

looking for alternatives anticipation of Cinavia

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff

dduk

Post by dduk » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Glitchy wrote: Are you using ISO's? or could you?
I'm not, all of my rips are in MKV format. I haven't tried ISOs, nor do I have any to try, unfortunately.
Glitchy wrote: Can you bitstream audio?
Yes, and I do. All of my blu-rays have the HD audio stream ripped only. Using an ATI5450 card via HDMI, the HD audio is bitstreamed to the AVR without issue.
Glitchy wrote: Are you using MyMovies? or could you??
I am using the latest version of my MyMovies.
Glitchy wrote: Any other "got ya's?
None that I can find. It really is as simple as pressing play in MyMovies and watching the stream start natively within Media Centre straight away. I even have some 3D blu rays ripped and played back with LavFilters without issue.
Glitchy wrote:
looking for alternatives anticipation of Cinavia

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff
Hope this helps.

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Many thanks!

Don't want to take advantage, but I haven't played with filters for years! Is there instructions posted anywhere for setting this up in Media Center?

Jeff

dduk

Post by dduk » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Glitchy wrote:Many thanks!

Don't want to take advantage, but I haven't played with filters for years! Is there instructions posted anywhere for setting this up in Media Center?

Jeff
There are no instructions that I could find, but they're beautiful in their simplicity.

If you've installed the Shark codecs, or any other codes for that matter, format twice, burn your hard disk and pack the remains into a box and ship it off a city very far away in a country with a non-extradition treaty with your country of residence. Purchase a new HDD, perform a voodoo ritual, in the rain and then install said new hard disk, format twice and install windows. At this point, you may have got rid of the codec pack.

Head over to the doom9 forum (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191) and download the installer x86 (http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-0.44.zip) or x64 (http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-0.44-x64.zip).

Once installed, you can open the settings and chose what audio format you want to bitstream. When that's done, just open an MKV and watch the audio fly. You don't even need another MKV splitter as one is built-in to the filters.

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:44 pm

dduk wrote:
There are no instructions that I could find, but they're beautiful in their simplicity.

If you've installed the Shark codecs, or any other codes for that matter, format twice, burn your hard disk and pack the remains into a box and ship it off a city very far away in a country with a non-extradition treaty with your country of residence. Purchase a new HDD, perform a voodoo ritual, in the rain and then install said new hard disk, format twice and install windows. At this point, you may have got rid of the codec pack. NICELY DONE

Head over to the doom9 forum (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191) and download the installer x86 (http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-0.44.zip) or x64 (http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-0.44-x64.zip).

Once installed, you can open the settings and chose what audio format you want to bitstream. When that's done, just open an MKV and watch the audio fly. You don't even need another MKV splitter as one is built-in to the filters.
Thanks, I'm converting an ISO to MKV with MakeMKV as I type this!

dduk

Post by dduk » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Glitchy wrote:
Thanks, I'm converting an ISO to MKV with MakeMKV as I type this!
MakeMKV is a great bit of kit. To keep your resulting file size sensible, I only select the main feature video, the HD audio track and the English subtitles.

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 pm

I am (was about) to spend $1400 on a new server, but want to make sure I "need" the hard drive space.

So today was my first venture into MKV

Got some homework to do

We shall see!

Jeff

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Purchase a new HDD, perform a voodoo ritual, in the rain and then install said new hard disk...
Um... It's winter here in Minnesota... can I do this in snow instead?

-Wolf sends

dduk

Post by dduk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Wolfshadw wrote:
Purchase a new HDD, perform a voodoo ritual, in the rain and then install said new hard disk...
Um... It's winter here in Minnesota... can I do this in snow instead?

-Wolf sends
Now you're just trying to out-do us Europeans with your proper winter weather...

I jest; nothing gets rid of a codec pack. Nothing.

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Now you're just trying to out-do us Europeans with your proper winter weather...
Nothing proper about our weather today. Currently 52F (11C) outside today. New High Temp Record for Minneapolis, MN, but it is suppose to start snowing tonight/tomorrow and then back to normal temps for this time of year.

-Wolf sends