Core AVC

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
sd2000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Core AVC

Post by sd2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi all I am new here and I have a couple of questions. I am in the process of building my new Windows 7 Media center and I need it to be able to stream .AVI,.MP4 and .MKV to my Xbox 360. I believe windows 7 will natively handle .AVI and .MP4 but not .MKV so my question is will CoreCodec handle the .MKV if I purchase it or am I better off using the procedure described here http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/mkvs-for ... l#comments I have been trying to research the best approach to this and I am stumped.

I have been reading this board for many years and I am very happy to be a member.
Last edited by sd2000 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:38 pm

sd2000 wrote:Hi all I am new here and I have a couple of questions. I am in the process of building my new Windows 7 Media center and I need it to be able to stream .AVI,.MP4 and .MKV to my Xbox 360. I believe windows 7 will natively handle .AVI and .MP$ but not .MKV so my question is will CoreCodec handle the .MKV if I purchase it or am I better off using the procedure described here http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/mkvs-for ... l#comments I have been trying to research the best approach to this and I am stumped.

I have been reading this board for many years and I am very happy to be a member.
I had been using the minimalist mkv setup for many years as I only needed it for downloads - you can actually get away with just using Haali if it's just x264 (like most downloads are) - it depends on what is in your mkv. Are these rips/mkvs you're making yourself or downloads? If the former - you might need more; the latter you should be fine with minimalist setup.

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Well it is really for both. My main concern is installing FFDShow which has not been updated in quite a long time and how that will interact with all of the new hardware. I am really looking for extreme reliability and the broadest compatibility I can get and with Core AVC as far as I know it is still under active development and there is some level of support. I would prefer open source if possible.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:55 pm

sd2000 wrote:Well it is really for both. My main concern is installing FFDShow which has not been updated in quite a long time and how that will interact with all of the new hardware. I am really looking for extreme reliability and the broadest compatibility I can get and with Core AVC as far as I know it is still under active development and there is some level of support. I would prefer open source if possible.
I ran FFDShow on SandyBridge + IGP and then SandyBridge + GTX 6xx hardware without issue - you gotta do what's right by you though. If you feel better going Core AVC go with it. I have no experience with Core AVC though so I can't speak on it.

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 pm

I appreciate your input staknhalo. I am going to try the minimalist mkv setup on my current HTPC and see how it works. If anyone else has used Core AVC please let me know your experiences.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:34 pm

I prefer CoreAVC as it's simple, but is it different than any other solution... probably not. My HTPC is as limited in power as I could build it at the time. AMD Sempron with integrated ATI 4000 video. CoreAVC made a fairly large dent in CPU usage when watching MKV's (blu-ray). I'm extremely happy with it. Install it and forget it.

ps... I don't think "active development" applies to CoreAVC. Updates are few and far between, but it does work as is.

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 pm

SilverRubicon Core AVC is really just install and forget and it will stream MKV's to the Xbox 360?

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:48 pm

I haven't tried streaming to the 360. I can try tonight,

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 pm

I used to use CoreAVC with DVBViewer and it worked fine, I think it has CUDA support too so "should" work better with NVIDIA cards.
Haali media splitter and ac3filter should do you tho....
Lee

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm

I think that last response sums up the problem with using a guide from 2009 - things have moved on, and anyone who used CoreAVC did it so long ago that they can't really remember the ins and outs of what worked and didn't work.

I think the current wave is to use just Haali splitter if that suits your media, and use Shark007 codec otherwise (until next week, when something newer comes along :) )

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:05 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:I haven't tried streaming to the 360. I can try tonight,

That would be awesome because I have just reinstalled everything on my old HTPC set up and I don't want to make a mistake because it is a real pain in the butt to get everything working properly. The new system is still about a month out before I can put it together and I am trying to finalize which codecs to use.

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:16 pm

milli260876 wrote:I used to use CoreAVC with DVBViewer and it worked fine, I think it has CUDA support too so "should" work better with NVIDIA cards.
Haali media splitter and ac3filter should do you tho....

Thank You for your response. Core AVC also works with Ati GPU Support (DXVA). I would use Haali if it wasn't such a pain to get installed with FFDShow and editing the registry and all there is something nice about free :)

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 pm

foxwood wrote:I think that last response sums up the problem with using a guide from 2009 - things have moved on, and anyone who used CoreAVC did it so long ago that they can't really remember the ins and outs of what worked and didn't work.

I think the current wave is to use just Haali splitter if that suits your media, and use Shark007 codec otherwise (until next week, when something newer comes along :) )

I just tried Shark007 again after several years of not using it and the video quality was never stable and I tried to uninstall it and I had to format and start over. I am really considering tryin the FFDSow and Haali media splitter method. As you have said FFDShow is starting to age from what I have read I thing the last stable is from 2009 and that is a large concern for me.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:41 am

sd2000 wrote:I just tried Shark007 again after several years of not using it and the video quality was never stable and I tried to uninstall it and I had to format and start over.
Total BS concerning stability and uninstallation
IF you felt you needed a format, you broke your own machine; my software didn't break anything.

Most likely cause of issues, instability was caused by coreavc,
and using some sort of crap like Revo to uninstall instead of officially supplied resources

There is an uninstall link in Control Panel | Programs and Features
There is an uninstall shortcut in the startmenu folder \Shark007 Codecs
There is an [UNINSTALL] button on the Help TAB of the settings application.
There is an Uninstall shortcut placed on the Windows 8 start panel.
Using any of the above official uninstall methods would return your system to a pre-installation state.

Using something like Revo could (and most likely did) leave you broken.
Choosing to re-install and subsequently use an official uninstall method would correct what Revo left broken.
EDIT: Use of Registry cleaners is another reason to be broken.
Last edited by Shark007 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:14 am

I did not mean to offend you. I installed your software and it did not work properly I don't know why but when I tried to play an mp4 video it would stuttered and would stall out. When I uninstalled your software using the button on the help tab I kept getting a bsod and I had to format the drive and start over I don't know why. The purpose of this thread is to obtain assistance in finding a codec that will just work without any problems and I was asking if anyone has had experience with Core AVC. Do you have any experience with Core AVC?

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:26 am

Making a blanket statement that my software broke you to the point of needing a format,
requires me to defend my software. So I did just that.

As for CoreAVC, in its current state, it is junk. Want real help? start by uninstalling CoreAVC and Haali (Matroska splitter).
BSOD are not caused by codecs, ever - they are mostly caused by driver/hardware failure.

When you installed my software, you were taken to a Setup and usage page. Your failure to read left you lost without a paddle. On the Setup and usage page is a statement concerning MP4 files and I quote, "If an MP4 file fails to play properly on Windows 7, (subtitles?) choose to disable the Microsoft Audio decoder on the SWAP TAB - - If MP4 problems persist or you are using Windows 8, it is also helpful to disable the Microsoft Video decoder"

The 1st step in using my software is to select the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox.
Doing so will setup LAV for use in WMP and Media Center.
EDIT: my software supports mkv, flv and ogm on extenders through Media Center
.......(instruction on the Setup and usage page)

If you do choose to use my software and see potential for proper playback using it, I operate my own forum to assist users with troubleshooting playback issues. If it is your intent to continue using CoreAVC, you are on your own.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:56 am

You don't need to install direct show for haali. You can just install the splitter.
@shark - no need to shout the kid down many people appreciate your work but I had problems with your set up and found it nigh on impossible to uninstall. Seen plenty of comments here and there from people with issues with your software, pc's and people are different chill out....
Lee

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:29 pm

sd2000 wrote:
SilverRubicon wrote:I haven't tried streaming to the 360. I can try tonight,

That would be awesome because I have just reinstalled everything on my old HTPC set up and I don't want to make a mistake because it is a real pain in the butt to get everything working properly. The new system is still about a month out before I can put it together and I am trying to finalize which codecs to use.
I tried it and it works but it looked terrible. The only mkv's I have are blu-rays so maybe there's an issue with high resolutions on the 360. I've never looked into streaming to the 360 so I know nothing about it.

I've tried but don't use codec packs. I may try FFDShow Tryouts. I must say that this thread has given me another reason to avoid codec packs. I don't understand the hostility.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:11 pm

I uninstalled CoreAVC and gave FFDShow Tryouts + Haali Media Splitter a try. Seems to work just as well as CoreAVC. It did require a bit more configuration. I had to enable DXVA and pass thru for the audio codecs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you'll need to install the 32bit versions if you intend to use WMP. I installed the x64 binaries as I only use MediaBrowser to play my MKV's.

I did not try streaming to the 360 with FFDShow.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Against my better judgement, I will respond to those addressing me.
milli260876 wrote:@shark - no need to shout the kid down ... found it nigh on impossible to uninstall.... chill out....
I did not 'shout the kid down'. I stood up for what I believe in. I know for a fact my software did not cause a BSOD.
I will not deny that 2+ years ago my software was difficult to uninstall. I have since dealt with that.
I work on improving my software 365 days a year, literally. I also make new public releases near weekly.
Most people would assume that over the last 2 years, something must have improved. Concerning your uninstall issue,
There are now at least 3 different methods presented to the user for proper uninstallation of my software.
SilverRubicon wrote:I must say that this thread has given me another reason to avoid codec packs.
I'm sorry to read that the passion I have for my hobby has affected you is such a manner.
I will try to contain my defensiveness for something I created in future postings.