Core AVC

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
sd2000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by sd2000 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 pm

milli260876 wrote:You don't need to install direct show for haali. You can just install the splitter.
@shark - no need to shout the kid down many people appreciate your work but I had problems with your set up and found it nigh on impossible to uninstall. Seen plenty of comments here and there from people with issues with your software, pc's and people are different chill out....
@milli260876 Thank you for your reply. I thought you had to install FFDShow in order to use Haali Media splitter. How could I just install Haali Media splitter? Because I really only need .MKV support and for me installing codec packs is over kill. I have discovered that with a fresh install of Windows 7 I can play .AVI and MP4 locally and on my xbox360 extenders with very good quality and no problems. So I have changed my focus to finding a way to install just a MKV codec that way I won't clutter my system.

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:22 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:
sd2000 wrote:
SilverRubicon wrote:I haven't tried streaming to the 360. I can try tonight,

That would be awesome because I have just reinstalled everything on my old HTPC set up and I don't want to make a mistake because it is a real pain in the butt to get everything working properly. The new system is still about a month out before I can put it together and I am trying to finalize which codecs to use.
I tried it and it works but it looked terrible. The only mkv's I have are blu-rays so maybe there's an issue with high resolutions on the 360. I've never looked into streaming to the 360 so I know nothing about it.

I've tried but don't use codec packs. I may try FFDShow Tryouts. I must say that this thread has given me another reason to avoid codec packs. I don't understand the hostility.

@SilverRubicon Thank You for the info and the effort. I have seen that once you get to MKV's at or over 8Gb things start to go bad on the quality when streaming. I think that might be realted to network and router speed but I am not sure. I had barely accetable results when I had Divx 7 pro codec pack installed but they took it off their site and have dropped support for it. I stuck with it for a couple of years because you could just install and everything worked.

sd2000

Post by sd2000 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Shark007 wrote:Against my better judgement, I will respond to those addressing me.
milli260876 wrote:@shark - no need to shout the kid down ... found it nigh on impossible to uninstall.... chill out....
I did not 'shout the kid down'. I stood up for what I believe in. I know for a fact my software did not cause a BSOD.
I will not deny that 2+ years ago my software was difficult to uninstall. I have since dealt with that.
I work on improving my software 365 days a year, literally. I also make new public releases near weekly.
Most people would assume that over the last 2 years, something must have improved. Concerning your uninstall issue,
There are now at least 3 different methods presented to the user for proper uninstallation of my software.
SilverRubicon wrote:I must say that this thread has given me another reason to avoid codec packs.
I'm sorry to read that the passion I have for my hobby has affected you is such a manner.
I will try to contain my defensiveness for something I created in future postings.

@Shark007 I pulled both disks I was using and I ran SpinRite on both of them and I found both disks had a dozen or so bad sectors on each disk. So I do appoligize for believing it was your software causing my problem. I have rarely seen where 2 drives start going bad at the same time but have seen that. I am in the proccess of installing Windows 7 on a new drive. I am just looking for help and your posts were verging on rudeness. I know people have at times unfairly judged your work. That was not my intent.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 am

Google haali splitter or matroska splitter and you should come up with the exe...
H264 codecs are already baked in to w7&8. The "splitter" utilized them. If you have any audio issues I would install ac3filter. Again google is your friend ;-)
@shark - I was not trying to engage you, I was merely pointing out issues I had with your software I had in the past. It was some time ago and I'm glad to hear you've sorted those problems out. I couldn't create anything like that so kudos to you, however on some forums the more technically advanced users can be rude and/or condescending to newbies and it really gets my goat. Aren't these forums supposed to be all about helping each other???
Lee

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm

If anyone is still following this thread...

I would suggest trying the LAV Filters. Seems to offer a good compromise between CoreAVC and FFDShow when it comes to options. After enabling DXVA, LAV seems to have the advantage in lower CPU usage. It may not be as configurable as FFDShow, but all I need is hardware assisted video decoding.

https://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/

If you want it all and the kitchen sink, then Sharks package is the way to go.