Help a Beginner - Conversion of VOB MPEG AVI files to M2TS

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
bheemsoth

HTPC Specs: Show details

Help a Beginner - Conversion of VOB MPEG AVI files to M2TS

Post by bheemsoth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Good morning all.

I have a very diverse array of file types in my media collection. This is the result of many years of me being ignorant to the different container/audio/video types. As such, since I began my migration to a whole home solution based around MCE/extenders back in the spring, I've had all sorts of issues with certain files playing poorly (or not at all) both on the MCE PC and the extenders.

As such, I have recently standardized on M2TS w/ AC3 448kbps audio. This has yielded great results. I use MKV2Vob (which I also used to use back in my PS3 DLNA days) to convert my MKV files to M2ts, embed the subtitles, and re-encode the audio to AC3. The issue lies in that the bulk of my media was actually converted AWAY from MKV over the years using the default settings from MKV2VOB. Some carry .mpg file extensions, while others carry .vob and M2TS. Some have AC3 audio, and others DTS. As you can see, this really is quite the mess I've gotten myself into.

Anyways, what I'm looking for is a piece (or multiple) of software that I can use to convert these various file types to M2TS w/AC3. I did some Google research and came across a few products, but I figured I would ask here as well. Any help that you guys could provide would be much appreciated. I've been a lurker for many months, and my reading on this forum convinced me not only to go down the MCE root, but helped me out with many issues I ran into while getting my Ceton up and running.

Thanks in advance!
Brian

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm

You should be able to strip out what U want with tsmuxer and be left with a .ts or .m2ts
makemkv is a good solution to pack everything back to mkv?? If U wanted...
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Forgot... Popcorn dts decoder aswell
Lee