MKV stopped working

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
gsgriffin

HTPC Specs: Show details

MKV stopped working

Post by gsgriffin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Have a new ASRock with the main purpose being to view all of my movies in MKV through it. It worked for a while, but now doesn't.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Codec packs (Shark007) and VLC and others. Each time, I end up being able to watch the movies through MP but never on WMC. Each time, the "windows cannot read the file..." error comes up.

I've also tried the registry update, changing the splitter setting in Shark...Shouldn't be this tough.

I about to reinstall the whole thing from a backup, but would like to simply fix it (and know how to fix it in case this comes up again).

Windows 7 Pro x64

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:09 pm

you've installed and configured the shark x64 addon?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm

also configured both in admin and non-admin modes?

gsgriffin

Post by gsgriffin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Yep. Feel silly, but as I follow the links and the confusing maze of false downloads and garbage, I eventually get to the add-ons via another forum post that links straight to it.

My suggestion...put all of the Shark007 links in one place with a simple list of what you need. I saw somewhere that you needed the x64 "version" after installing the x64. On one site, I saw the link that claimed to be for x64, but it wasn't. Someone help the Shark007 to make a single page that puts all the links in a simple list and simple explanation. That would have avoided my problems.

ronvp

Post by ronvp » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 pm

I personally do not use Shark because it does to many things that I do not need.. but it normally does work reliably. if you installed shark 32 and 64 bit, it should work out of the box.. Here are some pointers if you like to try to make it work or make it work without all the shark stuff

Not being able to play the MKV's in WMC (64 bit) but it does work in WMP (32 bit), definitely points to a 64 bit issue (WMP is 32 bit on 64 bit windows).. I strongly recommend to download the Win7DSFilterTweaker http://www.afterdawn.com/software/gener ... n_id=54000
and then manually tell windows (7 or 8) what codecs to use for both 32 bit and 64 bit.

If it still fails, uninstall all shark stuff, (reset all settings to defaults first) and also the Haali splitter. Then just install the LAV filters http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191. Install the whole package includes both 32 and 64 bit and also a splitter. Then use the Win7DSFilterTweaker app to tweak what codec to use for what format. Most MKV's have h.264 encoding, so make sure that the codecs are set to use LAV for that format.

Alternatively to LAV, install both 32 and 64 packages of FFDSHow http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/download.php (make sure to download the latest SVN versions) and then also the Haali Matroska splitter (just google it for a download. This forum only allows 3 links per post). I personally use the LAV Splitter with FFDShow codecs, because it offers more flexibility but maybe a little more difficult to configure.

Good luck

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 am

gsgriffin wrote:My suggestion...put all of the Shark007 links in one place with a simple list of what you need.
Bookmark the Setup and usage page.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs