Can't Install Codecs

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
sailracer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't Install Codecs

Post by sailracer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm not having any luck trying to get codecs installed today. I first tried AC3filter and then ffdshow and can't get either to work. The installations say they completed successfully but they won't start when I try playing an MP4 with AC3 audio. The video plays OK but there is no sound. I don't get any tray icons indicating a codec is running.

I don't see either showing up in filter manager under "direct show filters" after installation.

I disabled the virus scanner during installation to make sure it wasn't blocking any files. Could another codec be blocking these? Any other ideas?

I'm running Win7 64bit and trying to play back MP4s transcoded by handbrake with AC3 set to passthrough. (MP4s encoded with AAC play OK in media center and WMP12)

Is there something I'm missing to make these work?

Thanks.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm

How are you getting the Audio out of the HTPC? Optical, HDMI etc..??
If you are using HDMI you will need to configure AC3 Filter for pass through.. I take it since your are configuring it for pass through that you have an AVR.. Correct?
newfiend~

sailracer

Post by sailracer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:30 am

I'm going out of the computer on a digital coax output to an avr. I have the settings working so that if I play a DVD from wmp12 it passes the SPDIF correctly, but the same DVD converted to MP4 with AC3 pass through set in handbrake will not play the audio. I'm assuming AC3filter will rectify this but I can't get it installed correctly.

sailracer

Post by sailracer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 pm

So I still was never able to get AC3 filter to install correctly. Instead I came across the K-lite codec pack that packages a bunch of different codecs together and has a nice interface wrapper that makes it easy to change settings and enable/disable various codecs. After a bunch of tweaking, I was finally able to get the AC3 track from an MP4 out to my AVR both from Media Center and WMP12 using the ffdshow audio codec. Here's the link to the codec pack:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Note that you need both the 32bit and 64bit packs if you are running 64bit Windows and want media player and media center to both use them. The codecs in each pack need to be set independently as well.