Converting MKV to WTV?

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
cncb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cncb » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 pm

jennyfur wrote:Can anyone help with command line options for it? I used:
ffmpeg -i filename.mkv filename.wtv
and the resulting file was only 2gb so it's really low quality. Anyone know what options I need to specify in order for it to not compress so much? I don't care about file size. I want it as close to the original quality as possible.
If your MKV has MPEG2 or H264 video and AC3 audio then you can do a direct copy: ffmpeg -i filename.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy filename.wtv
Otherwise, you will have to play around with the -vcodec and -acodec arguments to get a reasonable transcoding. Note that if you plan to play these WTVs on an XBOX 360 there currently is some problem with ffmpeg where it results in just audio playback (blank screen) on the XBOX while the same file plays fine on the PC.

jennyfur

Post by jennyfur » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:03 am

cncb wrote:
jennyfur wrote:Can anyone help with command line options for it? I used:
ffmpeg -i filename.mkv filename.wtv
and the resulting file was only 2gb so it's really low quality. Anyone know what options I need to specify in order for it to not compress so much? I don't care about file size. I want it as close to the original quality as possible.
If your MKV has MPEG2 or H264 video and AC3 audio then you can do a direct copy: ffmpeg -i filename.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy filename.wtv
Otherwise, you will have to play around with the -vcodec and -acodec arguments to get a reasonable transcoding. Note that if you plan to play these WTVs on an XBOX 360 there currently is some problem with ffmpeg where it results in just audio playback (blank screen) on the XBOX while the same file plays fine on the PC.
Thanks so much! Definitely going to give this a try. Not sure offhand what my mkv settings were, but if I need to change them from now on to do my rips then that's ok. Hopefully the problem with ffmpeg will be fixed eventually, since yes these are intended for playback on a 360.

cncb

Post by cncb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:50 pm

jennyfur wrote:Hopefully the problem with ffmpeg will be fixed eventually, since yes these are intended for playback on a 360.
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of confidence this will be fixed very soon. See my last comment here 3 months ago: http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2252
Interestingly, they seem to have fixed a similar problem in MCEBuddy which I provided a link to.

jennyfur

Post by jennyfur » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:04 pm

cncb wrote:
jennyfur wrote:Hopefully the problem with ffmpeg will be fixed eventually, since yes these are intended for playback on a 360.
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of confidence this will be fixed very soon. See my last comment here 3 months ago: http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2252
Interestingly, they seem to have fixed a similar problem in MCEBuddy which I provided a link to.
I was only using ffmpeg because as I mentioned dvrmstoolbox and MCEbuddy didn't work. MCEbuddy was the worst of the two, at least dvrmstoolbox gives me the error in a minute or so. MCEbuddy takes over an hour and then doesn't even bother to say why it didn't work. Shame that ffmpeg won't work either since it was the most promising so far. Guess I'm out of options then, oh well. Back to waiting until I eventually get a next gen console I suppose. Wasted $35 on this new BD-rom haha.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:51 pm

I would take another shot with MCEBuddy. I believe it should have a log file that could tell you what's going wrong.