Switched external hard drives now no playback

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
dxplicitone

HTPC Specs: Show details

Switched external hard drives now no playback

Post by dxplicitone » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 am

Im kind of hoping that this is a problem somebody else has managed to have and solve as i just cant seem to see any solution here on my own.

My HTPC
ASrock H55M Micro
Intel Core i3
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws
WD 1TB internal (programs, music, pictures, en ish)
WD 2TB Elements external for media (dvd) storage (removing)
Seagate 3TB backup plus external (replacing the 2TB WD)
OS is Windows 7 64-bit

Story goes like this, i built this machine about 2 years ago and havent touched it except adding new movies as i gathered them to the storage and went from a 1TB WD to the 2TB WD without a hitch when i ran out of room. I run the WMC with the Media Browser plug in and its been flawless all this time and love it. I use DVDFab to rip my DVD's to video_ts and audio files. As of recent i copied all my files over to the 3TB Seagate and after the transfer i attempted to watch a movie (American History X) and it froze right when the VOB file ends. I could not fast forward, i could not skip ahead when this was attempted the player put the movie back to 0:00 and then locked up. Restarting the Media Browser i tried to restart the movie but this time fast forward ahead immediately and nothing was responsive, again it would freeze and go back to 0:00. Put the 2TB WD on the HTPC and it worked flawlessly again like before. Put the 3TB Seagate back and played the 1 AVI movie i have (Cars) and it works fine, played the 1 MP4 movie i have (21) and it plays fine but not the TS files and i am at a loss. Its not the HTPC as it plays he other drive just fine, all codecs are up to par and win updates are installed. If anybody can throw some ideas im all ears as its now 2am and im still on this since 5pm today.

Let me also mention that i played the TS files in VLC Player flawlessly as well, with no pauses and the ability to fast forward etc etc. Really pisses me off.

As i read on through the night i came on this thread http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 16405.aspx super helpful but is there another solution other than buying a Raid Enclosure as i dont really need all that with my simple setup. Thoughts?

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:35 am

Are you using the USB cable that comes with the External 3TB Seagate (Hopefully included with the drive when you bought it.) and not the one that was attached to the 2TB WD?

The reason I asked is because I had an External HDD and I tried to use another (bit longer cable) I purchased for it and had a similar issue as you. After replacing the cable back to the one that came with the drive (in box) it worked like it should. Not sure what was different in the cable but something made a difference.

Tried a different USB Port?
Any updates Firmware / Driver updates for the External drive at the Mfg. Website?
newfiend~