Subtitles on .avi files missing!

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
CogZog

HTPC Specs: Show details

Subtitles on .avi files missing!

Post by CogZog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi,

I have lost my subtitles. I have no idea what I have done but I am guessing it is something to do with ffmpeg or shark007 codec's as that was the last item I remember changing, but I really can't be sure. Have I missed a setting somewhere? No matter what I try I can't get subtitles to play on any .avi files when I watch the movie through MC7. If I watch it using VideoLAN then the subtitles play fine.

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
CogZog.
Some times I wake up sleepy, other times I let her sleep!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 pm

I don't use the shark codec pack (but I have installed it for other people).

Have you checked through the shark config tool to double check the subtitle setting?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Well, I thought that I had but I had best double check all the settings. I was just wondering whether there was a conflict going on after installing the Shark codec pack? Mind you, thinking about it, the only reason I installed shark007 is because the subs weren't showing in 7MC. But I have had the subs display before so what am I doing different? I really can't remember and that doesn't help anyone to give pointers either! Damn 7MC, or rather damn me for meddling with it!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Is this a fresh install, or has something changed recently?

Do files that used to play with subtitles in Media Center no longer show them?
Rob.

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 pm

holidayboy wrote:Is this a fresh install, or has something changed recently?

Do files that used to play with subtitles in Media Center no longer show them?
Yeah, it's a reinstall recently and since then subtitles don't show for any of my .avi movies. There is no subtitle heading when pressing the "i" button on my remote, where normally you would see a heading for turning subs on or off in 7MC. When watching TV or movies recorded from TV tthe subtitles are played fine. That's when I ttried installing ffmpeg and then Sharkk007 when that didn't work.

So that'ss as far as I have got. I am just trying a newer version of Shark007 codec and will have a look through all of the settings to see if i have missed anything.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:10 am

What happens if you mute mediacenter volume?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

stonethecrows wrote:What happens if you mute mediacenter volume?
Nothing! I then can't hear any sound and still no subtitles. I have tried updating Shark's codecs again and played around with various settings but to no avail. I think I remember that on a previous install, whenever I selected an avi movie within 7MC, an icon appeared in the taskbar notification area for ffmpeg and the subtitles displayed fine but I don't get this ffmpeg icon. i have set ffmpeg in the Shark's configuration settings as far as i can tell, but it stil doesn't appear. I am guessing this is the problem?

Is there a way to remove all codec's installed and then try again without upsetting my Windows 7 install? What is the best way to get subs working without using Sharks codecs?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

I've set up a few machines for people that wanted switchable subs in MC and had good results with Media Control.

http://damienbt.free.fr/

You'll need to have FFDShow installed in order to use it, some people do find it a bit unstable at times but it seemed good to me on clean installs.

I'd leave shark installed for now and just try installing Media Control - there is an option in it to configure codecs to enable sub support.

It might also be worth looking at Win7DSFilterTweaker in order to make sure that FFDShow is set for playback (I'm not sure if Shark recommends using it with his pack tho).

http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_pref ... weaker.htm
Rob.

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Hmmm, I wonder whether I am getting ffmpeg mixed up with fdshow? I will give this a go and see later when I get back.

Many thanks!

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:38 pm

CogZog wrote:Hmmm, I wonder whether I am getting ffmpeg mixed up with fdshow? I will give this a go and see later when I get back.

Many thanks!
Well, that didn't work either!

However, I have now got subtitles showing after pulling most of my hair out. In the end I uninstalled every codec and related program from my system. I finally tried K-Lite Codec pack and whilst it was installing it cam up with several registry errors for old entries that were causing all of my problems! As soon as these were cleared, subtitles started working in 7MC once again.

One happy bunny! :D