MKV or other video formats

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:40 pm

I guess I fall into the category of one bitten twice shy.. I used many codec packs in the past. Sharks, cccp, ffdshow etc.. Only to end up breaking wmc and having to format and reinstall. Once that happened I looked to the easiest way to get things working without breaking wmc. The answer for me was to keep it simple and let windows handle most (all) of the codec's. I install very little mostly what is posted in this thread and that's it. It has worked really well. I am sure that as problems came up that shark has fixed his pack. It is probably unfair to throw him or his pack under the bus. But the one bad experience I had was enough for me. And shame on me for not making a image prior to tweaking.. But I was new to mc then.. So that's my own fault. Over the years I have read many posts by MC vets on the old GB site tell others to keep it simple in the codec department. I did and it was the best advice for me... Your mileage may vary...

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

leifgjh

Post by leifgjh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

And the conclusion for the newcomber is ........ ???

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Its ultimately up to you on how you want to proceed. I will suggest that you make an image of your system prior to tweaking anything. That way if something doesn't go right you can restore your PC. I would still keep it simple if it were me. I have used the method I gave you here on my own system as well as a few others and it has worked out very well. You can also disregard my instructions and throw sharks pack on if you like. But you may risk breaking other parts of media center. But if you image first you can always restore. Its ultimately up to you how you want to proceed as its your machine. I like the simple approach that doesn't install a bunch of codec's I don't need .. But that's just me.

Last edited by newfiend on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leifgjh

Post by leifgjh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:06 pm

I agree. Thank You very much!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 pm

My point is exactly what I stated: MKV is not a codec, therefore it is not necessary to install a codec pack. While installing a codec pack that includes an MKV splitter will accomplish the goal, the MKV splitter is what really allows WMC to open the files, and the rest of the codec pack is basically just crap that can disrupt the system, especially if someone goes poking around in the settings without knowing WTF they are doing. While I don't agree with it, I can understand recommending a codec pack to someone that needs additonal codecs, but I see no justification in recommending a codec pack to someone that only needs a splitter.

As for inexperience users, I think you are underestimating people. All it takes is a curious person that can't get something to work, so they go into the codec settings and start messing with stuff and the next thing you know WMC won't play live TV anymore, or something else goes wrong.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 pm

but the installation instructions for the shark pack are more simple than than those already given to install haali

here they are in case you're interested:

1 install exe
2 open program
3 hit "sharks recommended settings"

and yes, of course an inexperienced user could have problems if they tinker. but a) isn't that how you become an experienced user and b) there's still a shed load to tinker with even if you leave shark's pack alone!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I did exactly what Richard is describing.. I installed FFDSHOW and got a file that wouldn't play. So I went digging in the settings... Then live tv would crash and I couldn't get it fixed.. Posted on TGB.. First suggestion I got was format and reinstall as I messed up windows codec's by tweaking the settings within FFDSHOW.
For a newbie.. I agree with Richard to keep it as simple as possible. I agree bob that your method may be simpler to implement but it's adding things the OP doesn't need and may end messing up his/her system the first time they try getting a file that won't play to work and they start digging into the settings. It's happened to a lot of people.. I was one of them. Of course everyone has their own way of getting things to work. And what works for some doesn't always work for everyone as everyone's configuration/needs are different. Either method works.. It just comes down to personal preference. As Richard pointed out .MKV is a container and since haali is just a splitter that opens it so MC can read the contents.. I don't think a codec pack is needed.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

true, i don't disagree in this case. just trying to get a balanced view ;)

Junon

Post by Junon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm currently rebuilding myself an HTPC using windows 8 and MCE on one of those little tiny nettop foxconn boxes. Everything is pretty much going smoothly with the exception of getting subtitles going in WMC while still ensuring that I'm getting DXVA enabled. I've done several searches and most of the info I'm finding is pretty outdated. If I install shark007 or just haali's and directvob sub, I get awful cpu utilization and stuttering in 1080p videos, although the subs DO show up. If I just go with Haali's media splitter and NO directvobsub, I obviously can get subtitles in MPC with DXVA, but the subtitles don't appear in WMC.

TL;DR: What's the best way of getting subtitles in WMC while still using DXVA on a little AMD/ATI nettop box? Thanks!

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 pm

use MPC as an external player through mediabrowser?

Junon

Post by Junon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 pm

That's an interesting idea... I never messed around with that before. I thought I saw something while cruising through the forum here about mediabrowser not working properly with windows 8 MCE or something to that effect. Am I misremembering?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm

you're correct, just seen that. i would say (and i'm ducking at this point) ask shark007 about your problems with his approach, he's a pretty helpful guy. but others may have more efficient suggestions

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:00 pm

I would just use VLC to play those formats and not bother going crazy trying to work around codes. VLC has all kinds of tweaks

Junon

Post by Junon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm

Yeah, but 99% of what I watch is video in MKV... so if I go for VLC, then I kind of defeat the purpose of having a MCE setup altogether.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Junon wrote:Yeah, but 99% of what I watch is video in MKV... so if I go for VLC, then I kind of defeat the purpose of having a MCE setup altogether.
If you're not using extenders, look into XBMC. It's superior to WMC in every way but that and DVR support, and it will play and library-ize your MKVs perfectly. I would recommend the current alpha; I've been using Frodo Alpha 5 the last month with great results, and it has some new features and bug fixes compared to the current "stable" release. I use VLC for files I double-click in Explorer; it's set as my default for all video files. I use WMC for DVR only, and I use XBMC for all other library-based video.

Junon

Post by Junon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 am

I was actually looking into that, but in the process, I discovered that basically there are no good netflix plugins for any other platform EXCEPT WMC. I think boxee had a good setup when it was an installable platform, but that went away. If I could make my xbox boot directly into netflix, then I'd probably be content to split up the roles like that, but since I can't, I keep trying to make this work. I hope that MS keeps their focus on all this windows 8 metro stuff a lot better than they do with MOST of their projects that end up falling by the wayside.

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:10 am

You can get a used WD Live TV on eBay for $50. That thing plays everything.

Junon

Post by Junon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 am

I've actually got one already... but it's not wireless and I really want to get this box to work. I know I've got this stuff working on my OTHER WMC box... which is windows 7 32bit... is that really the difference? Is what I'm trying to do impossible in windows 8? I assumed that the green button was all the diehards forgotten by microsoft were making everything work in spite of MS's best efforts to the contrary... where is the can-do spirit??!

Junon

Post by Junon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:41 am

Okay, actually... how about this... can anyone explain to me how all this graph and pin business works? I can load a file into one of these graph viewers, which shows me the render path that a video takes... what is that really showing me and how can I use that to insert filters and ensure that the proper subtitle processing gets done on the way to the screen when using WMC?

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:47 am

Junon wrote:I was actually looking into that, but in the process, I discovered that basically there are no good netflix plugins for any other platform EXCEPT WMC. I think boxee had a good setup when it was an installable platform, but that went away. If I could make my xbox boot directly into netflix, then I'd probably be content to split up the roles like that, but since I can't, I keep trying to make this work.
I don't understand. If you find Netflix in WMC acceptable, why can't you continue to use WMC for Netflix? Like I said, I use WMC solely for DVR and XBMC for all other library-based video, and I have seamless control of both with my remote control. I have buttons defined to start one while closing the other. Works great.