DVR-MS Metadata

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVR-MS Metadata

Post by werds » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:22 am

Ok, so I finally got around to purchasing Video-Redo in order to convert all of my DVD library into DVR-MS files (to access everything easier across all my extenders). Problem I just realized is that apparently all the metadata that was there for the DVD rips does not seem to exist for the DVR-MS files. I know that I can go in and manually type out each particular for each field. But is there a program that is automated to populate the metadata? I currently use Media Browser to more easily organize stuff so just setting the movies in alphabetical list order is "ok" but I would like to be able to add the metadata if possible with minimal issue/time spent if possible :P

Has anyone used YAMM for this? Would I need to put each individual DVR-MS file in it's own folder - would dumping a dvdid.xml file in a folder with each dvr-ms file work as a way to do the metadata?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:56 am

I use YAMMM for my metadata. It won't modify the dvr-ms file itself, but it will create the appropriate metadata files for the built in Movie Library to work.

TBH it's a long time since I used it, but Media Browser picked up the metadata files from YAMMM as well, I assume that still works on current versions. But I also thought that Media Browser would download metadata itself, so you don't have to use any additional tools. Has this changed?
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:58 pm

no, pretty sure MB downloads metadata if you want it to. Personally I use MediaCenterMaster so i always turn it off. it used to be less than perfect at series id

werds

Post by werds » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Hmmm interesting, I know Media Browser pulled metadata for my DVD rips but since converting them to DVR-MS haven't seen any metadata pulled down for those - maybe I need to check my config settings in MB...

Worse comes to worse I guess YAMMM is my next alternative. Thanks all!

***Edit**** - Apparently I had turned off the metadata retrieval in Media Browser at some point. Turned it on and refreshed a handful of movies and it pulled down the metadata for all of them - EXCEPT none of them showed movie poster images or anything... is that normal for DVR-MS files? How should I go about fixing this? I noticed 3 movies I had recorded from broadcast show with proper metadata and seem to have pulled an image from within the video stream to display in place of the poster in Media Browser. Again not a huge bug for those that don't show it but would be nice to have the images show if I can pull it off.