H.264 with AC3 audio - why can't I get ac3?

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
Crispy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crispy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 am

newfiend wrote:make any headway Crispy?
Thanks for asking. Nope not much luck with this. Tried resetting AC3 Filter and reinstalling same result. I did think about installing Haali even though I don't need it as mkv's are split by DivX and I think I need DivX to play mkv nicely on an Xbox extender.

I have another PC and could hook that up to the amp through HDMI and see if I have more luck with that. That PC has never had any codec pack installed on it.

Open to suggestions...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Are you using a Video Card with HDMI out or HDMI off the motherboard? Post your PC specs if you dont mind.. Mobo, Ram, Processor etc...
newfiend~

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 pm

newfiend wrote:Are you using a Video Card with HDMI out or HDMI off the motherboard? Post your PC specs if you dont mind.. Mobo, Ram, Processor etc...
newfiend~
I've filled in my HTPC details.

HDMI off the on-board graphics into the amp.

As I've mentioned before I get Dolby Digital from MKV's played in Media Player but not through Media Center.

I'll hook my other PC up to my amp and see what I get...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:30 am

Crispy wrote:
newfiend wrote:Are you using a Video Card with HDMI out or HDMI off the motherboard? Post your PC specs if you dont mind.. Mobo, Ram, Processor etc...
newfiend~
I've filled in my HTPC details.

HDMI off the on-board graphics into the amp.

As I've mentioned before I get Dolby Digital from MKV's played in Media Player but not through Media Center.

I'll hook my other PC up to my amp and see what I get...
what version of AC3 Filter are you installing?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 am

I deleted my last suggestions due to the fact that MC was crashing recorded tv with this setup. reverting back to ac3 filter 1.63b fixed the issue. i found that after installing divx that installing haali then ac3 filter 1.63b and setting it to use spdif and passthrough for dd and dts makes things work.. at least for me on two seperate systems so far.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:39 am

newfiend wrote:I deleted my last suggestions due to the fact that MC was crashing recorded tv with this setup. reverting back to ac3 filter 1.63b fixed the issue. i found that after installing divx that installing haali then ac3 filter 1.63b and setting it to use spdif and passthrough for dd and dts makes things work.. at least for me on two seperate systems so far.
Yeah thanks for your effort but it made no difference to DD played in MCE, although I needed to uninstall everything when DivX had a hissy fit and stopped playing MKV files.

I'll give this new suggestion a try but think I'll have to try another PC or install a fresh Windows 7 on the PC off a USB stick.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:22 am

Here are my own personal basic optimal settings in case it helps someone else:

1) Install Shark007 Windows 7 codec pack and also download install x64 components

2) Right click Settings Application, run as administrator, Click the Shark007 SUGGESTED settings box at the bottom, click the Audio Tab and under Audio Bitstreaming select TrueHD/DTS HD-MA (HDMI), on the H264 tab pick Use FFDshow's codec, under MKV tab, pick Use Haali's splitter(default), Finally on Config tab, pick No Subtitles under Subtitle control)

3) Right click Settings Application x64, and follow the same directions as #2 above

I didn't change anything else yet, so far all my AVI's and MKV's start instantly, look great, and sound great. (in full digital surround, my AVR shows correct bitstream)

I have a Denon AVR-4311CI hooked up to my GeForce 550 Ti via HDMI.