What do you do with your Blu-ray discs?

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:53 am

dduk wrote:I can now watch Blu-rays natively within Media Centre.
Okay so pardon me for jumping on board here, but how are things going? I just read your info and am very interested.
Any gotchas?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

dduk

Post by dduk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:55 am

stonethecrows wrote:
dduk wrote:I can now watch Blu-rays natively within Media Centre.
Okay so pardon me for jumping on board here, but how are things going? I just read your info and am very interested.
Any gotchas?
Strangely enough, I was just logging on to post an update!

So far, so good. I have the LAV filters installed on all of my machines now following uninstalls of the Haali splitter and TMT5. Two of my machines bitstream to HD receivers via HDMI and the rest are all analogue outs.

So far, everything is working excellently- the AVRs are receiving their Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA streams perfectly and the analogue machines are also decoding for themselves happily.

The girlfriend has actually commented on how much smoother it is to watch a film now - 'no more screen flashing' between Media Centre and TMT5.

The girlfriend and I have watched a few films yet, and I've only noticed one issue-ette so far - during a the blu-ray of 'RED', there's a wide panning shot of a street that appears to flicker - almost a refresh rate issue. I'm not sure if it's the TV though so I'll need to try this on a different machine. I might also reinstall TMT5 to see if the same happens there too.

It's not been a full week with the filters yet, but I'm confident they are going to stay.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I'll be interested to find out how the lab filters cope with change to bd protection ... how did you go about the shell scenario? is that similar to media only selection from within MC??
gotta find time for a format meself got an ssd sat in the system dying to be used...
anyone know on a side note if I unplug my os drive start a rebuild I can swap from new(SSD) and old (HDD) os . or will this likely bugger everything up due to mbr ????
Lee

dduk

Post by dduk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:29 am

milli260876 wrote:I'll be interested to find out how the lab filters cope with change to bd protection ... how did you go about the shell scenario? is that similar to media only selection from within MC??
gotta find time for a format meself got an ssd sat in the system dying to be used...
anyone know on a side note if I unplug my os drive start a rebuild I can swap from new(SSD) and old (HDD) os . or will this likely bugger everything up due to mbr ????
With regards to the shell scenario - I've posted the registry change here - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 3633#p3547
I'm afraid I can't comment on bd protection or your mbr question - I've not had any exposure to either of those situations.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm

dduk wrote: With regards to the shell scenario - I've posted the registry change here - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 3633#p3547
I'm afraid I can't comment on bd protection or your mbr question - I've not had any exposure to either of those situations.
could you put explorer.exe and ie.exe in extras then launch them from within MC??
that would be nice.....
oh and do you use lav filters with anyDVD HD or something as that would circumvent the encryption wouldn't it...?
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 pm

OK so out of interest and off-topic i put an explorer and IE shortcut in WMC with MSStudio both fails unfortunately, IE comes up with an "access denied" error after loading which needs the keyboard to remove and explorer loads under WMC...
Lee

bbusato

Post by bbusato » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I've replaced Explorer as the shell with Media Center (ehshell.exe) as dduk explained--thanks for the instructions on how to do that--and I really love it, there is nothing running in the background, the htpc boots straight into Media Center, which is a lot faster, and there is no desktop line at the bottom of the screen while switching to blu-ray.

There is one problem I have not been able to fix though: the volume is stuck where it was set before the mod and you cannot change or adjust it with the remote!!! I can do Ctrl+Alt+Del and start up control panel, and then under sounds manually change the volume to what I want. But that's not practical when you are watching a movie.

Does anyone know how to fix this or a work around, I really would like to keep ehshell as the shell.

dduk

Post by dduk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 pm

bbusato wrote:I've replaced Explorer as the shell with Media Center (ehshell.exe) as dduk explained--thanks for the instructions on how to do that--and I really love it, there is nothing running in the background, the htpc boots straight into Media Center, which is a lot faster, and there is no desktop line at the bottom of the screen while switching to blu-ray.

There is one problem I have not been able to fix though: the volume is stuck where it was set before the mod and you cannot change or adjust it with the remote!!! I can do Ctrl+Alt+Del and start up control panel, and then under sounds manually change the volume to what I want. But that's not practical when you are watching a movie.

Does anyone know how to fix this or a work around, I really would like to keep ehshell as the shell.
I think this is a reported problem with dropping explorer as the shell - a quick google should yield many people reporting the same issue.

I'm not sure if there's a work-around. I don't have the issue myself as my HTPCs plug into an AVR that I use to control the volume (MC is always set to a volume of 50).

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:31 am

I have been using lav splitter with mpc hc to watch my blu-ray rips and haail for mkv playback in media center. You say you have blu-rays and mkv's playing in media center Nativity. I will have to try this on my newly wiped and re-installed win 7 laptop as I was unable to get it working on my htpc. Please let me know if you did anything different when installing to get this working. WOOOOhoooo. :mrgreen: Looks like lav just added a a filter config shortcut. Here is a link to the release notes. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1520407

dduk

Post by dduk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:11 am

lurch66 wrote:I have been using lav splitter with mpc hc to watch my blu-ray rips and haail for mkv playback in media center. You say you have blu-rays and mkv's playing in media center Nativity. I will have to try this on my newly wiped and re-installed win 7 laptop as I was unable to get it working on my htpc. Please let me know if you did anything different when installing to get this working. WOOOOhoooo. :mrgreen: Looks like lav just added a a filter config shortcut. Here is a link to the release notes. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1520407
I've been using v0.31 on my machines and to get it working I just installed then used a different application to tell Lav Filters to bitstream the HD Audio to my AVR. It looks like the new GUI in v0.32 removes the need for the extra application as you can now use the GUI to tell the filters to bitstream the HD Audio.

It should be noted that the filters have their own splitter and there is no need to have Haali installed. I'm currently trying 0.32 now - thanks for the link!

dduk

Post by dduk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:35 am

dduk wrote:I've been using v0.31 on my machines and to get it working I just installed then used a different application to tell Lav Filters to bitstream the HD Audio to my AVR. It looks like the new GUI in v0.32 removes the need for the extra application as you can now use the GUI to tell the filters to bitstream the HD Audio.
Ok - the settings in the gui are exactly the same as the ones I was accessing via GraphStudio on 0.31. It seems that GraphStudio could access the settings that weren't previously presented.