Media Centre + 2 x Xbox360s - MP4 M4V Problem

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
SlipMat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Centre + 2 x Xbox360s - MP4 M4V Problem

Post by SlipMat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi All

I am at a loss as to what is going on here.

I have a Windows 7 Media Centre PC which is used for live TV...

Until recently I have had numerous Xbox 360's dotted about - all being used as media centre extenders for live TV, recordings and movies.

I struggled to find a format which worked on my iPad and could be played on the extenders... eventually I settled on M4V / MP4. I converted all my movies using Handbrake (300 films!!) - all was great for about 1 week...

I could play the movies in Media Centre from the media centre PC and all the extenders.

Then recently ANOTHER Xbox died with RROD, so I relented and bought a brand new one... put it in our living room - added it and all worked great. Loads of movies and its quiet :)

But then in the last couple of weeks I have found I cant play movies on the Xbox 360 in the living room (the new one!!). Whenever I try to play movies it says that files needed to play are not installed and to restart. I have tried everything I can think of... lastly formatting the hard disk and starting again. Immediately after the format it said that an update was needed to play media - so after the update when I try to play it says "buffering", then drops back to dashboard. Sometimes it errors saying "files needed to play are not installed"... and so it goes on!!

However - the tatty old Xbox 360 in the kids room plays them fine - so I know that there is nothing wrong with the MP4 files and the fault must lie with the new Xbox in the living room.

Can anyone help as this is driving me mad :?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Did you install the optional media update on the new XBOX? http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02fffe07df
You need this to play MP4 on the XBOX.
newfiend.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

SlipMat

Post by SlipMat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:06 am

Hi Newfiend

Yes - this is the update which it installed... but doesnt work for me :(

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:27 pm

I have noticed issues playing back content since the new dashboard update. My previously working .mkv's aren't working correctly either. I think the optional media update needs another update.. Others on here have reported playback issues on the Xbox as well since the dashboard update to metro.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

SlipMat

Post by SlipMat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:01 pm

I really dont want to have to re-encode 300+ movies...

Please Microsoft - HELP!!!

SlipMat

Post by SlipMat » Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm

OK - update...

I tried to play movies from the Xbox video player and the movies play fine... but in Media Centre it fails saying "files needed to play are missing"

Can anyone offer any advice?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun May 06, 2012 8:58 pm

SlipMat wrote:OK - update...

I tried to play movies from the Xbox video player and the movies play fine... but in Media Centre it fails saying "files needed to play are missing"

Can anyone offer any advice?
You can add .MP4/.M4V support to Windows by installing DIVX or the Microsoft Zune Software. I catually have both installed on my HTPC and can play .MP4 fine.
http://www.divx.com/
http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/soft ... efault.htm

newfiend~