Rip Blu-ray Movie Collection

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
Night Hawke

HTPC Specs: Show details

Rip Blu-ray Movie Collection

Post by Night Hawke » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:54 am

Hi all,
I just got my first Blu-ray drive and some movies. What i am looking to do is rip the movies to my HDD and play them from there. The way i want to do this is similar to how my dvd rips are done.

I rip them into .vob like i am making a copy of the movie then play them from that inside WMC. Is this possible for Blu-rays as well?

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:26 am

Night Hawke wrote:Hi all,
I just got my first Blu-ray drive and some movies. What i am looking to do is rip the movies to my HDD and play them from there. The way i want to do this is similar to how my dvd rips are done.

I rip them into .vob like i am making a copy of the movie then play them from that inside WMC. Is this possible for Blu-rays as well?
ripping to MKV (Edited: I typed MP4 originally, I menat MKV) and then using the method explained on hack7mc to enable playback in 7mc. I can explain this if you want, when I have a bit of time.

Problem is, Blueray rips are HUGE files, and you'll need TONS of storage to make a decent library. Storage is cheap, you'll say, but also it takes AGES to rip a blueray...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:39 pm

I second Cafe Racer's comments about taking a long time and lots of storage space. My big problem was that I was never able to find a good (easy) way of getting the subtitles to display in Media Center. I didn't want the subtitles to actually be part of the video image... I wanted to be able to turn them on and off just like when watching the original disc. If anyone has a good method, I'd love to hear it.

Night Hawke

Post by Night Hawke » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:56 am

Cafe.Racer wrote:
Night Hawke wrote:Hi all,

ripping to MKV (Edited: I typed MP4 originally, I menat MKV) and then using the method explained on hack7mc to enable playback in 7mc. I can explain this if you want, when I have a bit of time.

Problem is, Blueray rips are HUGE files, and you'll need TONS of storage to make a decent library. Storage is cheap, you'll say, but also it takes AGES to rip a blueray...
my bluray collection consists of 6 movies, so regardless of how big they are i have more then plenty of room to store them in my 8TB drivebay.

Mostly i want to retain the Disc experience, with the main menu chapter selection, etc.

With the method you mentioned is this still possible? if not then that is not the solution i really want. Neither is ripping iso's and mounting them to watch them.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:55 pm

I rip my BD and DVD discs in their entirety using MyMovies for WHS. <echo> Hard drive space is cheap and any other method is also time consuming. Ripping a BD takes longer than a DVD but what's the hurry...it only takes about 15-20 minutes. Everybody seems to handle how they rip movies in different fashions to satisfy drive space or to make them extender friendly so if space isn't an issue and if you don't use extenders then keeping the original file in its true form is the way to go IMO.

To watch BD rips in ISO format I use TMT5 and mikinho's 'mount image' plus virtual clone drive from Slysoft.

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Night Hawke wrote:
Cafe.Racer wrote: my bluray collection consists of 6 movies, so regardless of how big they are i have more then plenty of room to store them in my 8TB drivebay.

Mostly i want to retain the Disc experience, with the main menu chapter selection, etc.

With the method you mentioned is this still possible? if not then that is not the solution i really want. Neither is ripping iso's and mounting them to watch them.
I honestly don't know - I take all the meus off. I used DVDFab, which there is a trial for so you could always give it a go!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:18 pm

I played around with DVDFab. It works well, except that I lose the subtitles (unless I want them burned into the video image). I don't care about menus... I'd rather just watch the movie.

My wife's first language is Romanian. She speaks English pretty well, but she likes the subtitles on sometimes because it helps her understand what is being said when the speech is muffled or when there is a lot of other noise in the movie. Some American and British accents also throw her off.

I sometimes use the subtitles too, because we have a 4 year old girl who never stops talking.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:15 am

i use a combination of ffdshow (through Shark007's codec pack. i know people don't like codec packs but i've been using this for 2 years without one problem) and Media Control. Audio tracks and subtitles are then selectable within MC.

dduk

Post by dduk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 am

I use MakeMKV to rip both DVDs and Blu-rays. I select only the main video feature, the English subtitles and the HD Audio track. The ripped MKVs are then stored on my WHS 2011 machine on a RAID5 array. I also use DVDFab to rip 3D Blu-rays as MakeMKV doesn't yet offer this feature.

The media centres use MyMovies to play them back natively using LavFilters. No nasty codec packs for me.

tommo

Post by tommo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:19 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I second Cafe Racer's comments about taking a long time and lots of storage space. My big problem was that I was never able to find a good (easy) way of getting the subtitles to display in Media Center. I didn't want the subtitles to actually be part of the video image... I wanted to be able to turn them on and off just like when watching the original disc. If anyone has a good method, I'd love to hear it.

If you're using MKV's and have directvob sub installed then you can choose default settings for subtitles.

This is essential for me where I watch a lot of foreign films and don't want to have to minimise wmc, right click the haali icon (or whatever) turn subs on and then maximise wmc.

I install sharks (never had a problem) and that comes with directvobsub (autoloading version), which will check the flag set on the MKV files subtitle files, if 'default' is set to 'yes' then subs will play (e.g. for foreign films or films with forced subs e.g. English films with foreign parts). If the flag is set to 'no' then the subs wont play.

This method does not make the subs selectable on the fly but does work perfectly if you always want subtitles to show or not show for specific films.

-----------

If you want separate audio tracks, video tracks, I have a perfectly working method if you're using mymovies where by you use mmg again to create separate mkvs all with their own separate audio/video tracks and then add them as separate disks within mymovies so they're selectable when you hit Play.

I'd write a mini-guide if anyone would be interested in it.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 am

tommo wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I second Cafe Racer's comments about taking a long time and lots of storage space. My big problem was that I was never able to find a good (easy) way of getting the subtitles to display in Media Center. I didn't want the subtitles to actually be part of the video image... I wanted to be able to turn them on and off just like when watching the original disc. If anyone has a good method, I'd love to hear it.

If you're using MKV's and have directvob sub installed then you can choose default settings for subtitles.

This is essential for me where I watch a lot of foreign films and don't want to have to minimise wmc, right click the haali icon (or whatever) turn subs on and then maximise wmc.

I install sharks (never had a problem) and that comes with directvobsub (autoloading version), which will check the flag set on the MKV files subtitle files, if 'default' is set to 'yes' then subs will play (e.g. for foreign films or films with forced subs e.g. English films with foreign parts). If the flag is set to 'no' then the subs wont play.

This method does not make the subs selectable on the fly but does work perfectly if you always want subtitles to show or not show for specific films.

-----------

If you want separate audio tracks, video tracks, I have a perfectly working method if you're using mymovies where by you use mmg again to create separate mkvs all with their own separate audio/video tracks and then add them as separate disks within mymovies so they're selectable when you hit Play.

I'd write a mini-guide if anyone would be interested in it.
if you combine MediaCeontrol with directvobsub you can get menus in MC where you can select the audio and subtitle track so no worrying about the situations that don't fit the "default". it works perfectly for me with ffdshow instead of directvobsub and its just a different setting within Sharks config to select ffdshow if it doesn't.

yeah, no making reasonable statements about codec packs around here. only overreaction and flying off the handle allowed...

tommo

Post by tommo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:05 pm

has mediacontrol been updated recently? I remember trying it a while back with results that led me to do everything the manual way.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:14 pm

i installed it just before christmas, no idea what it was like before then. it all works well for me, once i worked out i had to disable mp4 windows compatibility to get subtitles to work with them. mkvs were a doddle