Codec Help

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
Araziel

HTPC Specs: Show details

Codec Help

Post by Araziel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:18 pm

First off I am a long time member of the old Green Button site, and I was very happy to see the new site go on line.

I currently experienced a fatal crash last week which required a complete reload of my WMC. Since I was in the process of a rebuild, I wanted to get surround sound working with my new Denon 891. This is where all my problems started. I have spent the last three days reading, and trying different methods of getting everything working like it should. I also know the root cause of my issues are the codecs which is like a foreign language to me.

Setup:
I3-2100 (Originally purchased for the on board video)
Asrock H67M
MSI N94GT-MD512 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB - Card was added to get around the I3 23 or 24 frame stutter.
Realtek onboard audio with Toslink to reciever.

Video
I am currently using a hauppauge 2250 and a HDhome Run for my tuners.
I also am using Media Browser with MKV movies.

Audio
WMC TV - (Not sure what format this is in.)
MKV - Dolby Digital
MKV - DTS
MKV - AC3
MKV - ACC

I have tried the following...
Hack7 Articles:
... FFDShow Video in Media Center
... MKVs for Minimalists on Windows 7
... Using AC3Filter in Media Center

Ac3filter
Haali media splitter
CCCP
Sharks Codec Pack

Filter Manager
Win 7 DSFilter Tweaker

I finally got surround sound working for all the MKV files, but now have lost completle TV functionality. It is also only working as passthrough, and I have to use the reciever to adjust the sound.

My ultimate goal would be to controll the volume with the media center controller, and have all the different audio formats above come through with surround sound along with TV working. Can someone please tell me which codecs to install, and the correct configuration of them?

I am also willing to reinstall Windows on this machine to finally get it working properly. I can install either 32 or 64 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:09 am

It is impossible to send encoded audio to your receiver and still control volume with the PC. This is not a limitation of WMC or Windows...it's the fact that you are sending data, not audio, to the receiver (you are bitstreaming). In order to control the audio with the PC, you need to have the PC decode everything and send the individual audio signals to your receiver (ie, you need to turn off the options to pass-through the audio). Just make sure you are using either analog or HDMI connection to get more than 2 channels out to the receiver.

For MKV playback, the only thing you need is Haali media splitter. All that other stuff is unnecessary, and as you see, it breaks TV if you aren't careful. I would recommend uninstalling everything except for Haali. I'm not sure what damage has been done by having everything else installed, so you may have to reinstall Windows to get everything working correctly.

To disable bitstreaming, go into control panel > Sound, double click the audio device, go to the advanced tab, and uncheck the 2 boxes in the exclusive mode section. Now digital audio will be decoded locally.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:38 am

+1 on Richards comments. I would also suggest a fresh install of windows.. Skip the codec packs completely. Install a .mkv splitter, ac3 filter if you have files that require it and the reg hack for .mkv found at hack7mc.. That's all I have except I also installed the DivX software which really wasn't needed.. MC7 has a good set of codec support built in. I let my avr do the decoding by bitstreaming. The only other software I have installed that might add codec support to windows is TMT5 and the Zune software. Everythings working great for me so far.
HTH,
newfiend

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express