Codecs and AMD Video Converter

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Codecs and AMD Video Converter

Post by Beerman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:03 pm

I use the AMD Video Converter often to convert my wtv files to H.264 and it does a good job fast. Recently, it's begun to crash even updating the drivers. I have 2 other systems that seem to work fine.
I think it might be codec related and I originally had to install the Shark pack to get it to work many versions ago.

I'm curious and would like opinions of just what codecs I really need on my boxes. I think I'll strip them bare and start over again. Any suggestions?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Windows Vista or 7?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Sorry, I certainly should have given more detail....W7 Ultimate x64.
I've got quite a few programs that work well with these files.Handbrake,and Xilisoft to name just 2 and none give me problems. AMD's Vdieo Converter just does it so much faster due to the Avivo technology with Radeon HD cards. Handbrake takes 3 times as long, though it's excellent.
I just updated my office computer (W7) to the latest drivers and it worked fine so it's something on these 2 machines that is not liked. I think I'll totally remove all the drivers and start from scratch to see if that works before I remove all the codecs from my systems.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Windows 7 has a pretty good set of codec support out of the box. If you watch .MKV files I would install a .MKV splitter like Haali and the reg hack found here : http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/mkvs-for ... ows-7.html
Just merge the x64 bit reg hack into the registry so windows 7 can see/play .mkv's. I install AC3 Filter as some of the videos I watch require it. I also Install the DIVX software. Not a necessity though as Windows can play DIVX out of the box I believe. And that's it. If you do install AC3 Filter and have an AVR you will need to configure it for pass through. Let me know if you go this route and I'll point you in the right direction. Other than that that's all I install. Everything seems to play fine. I would say don't install any codec you don't need. See if Windows will play what you want first, if not then install the codecs you need only to get the file to work. There is a program called GSPOT.. (great name I know) but it will tell you what codecs are needed to play a secific file. The biggest problem people have is they get a file that wont play, they have no idea what codec is needed so they get a codec pack and throw a bunch of them on a machine in hopes everything just works. This usually messes things up. Codec Packs seem to mess up more than they help most times. GSpot will tell you what you need so you can get the specific codec you need to get it to play. Most times If I have an issue with a file I just use Handbrake to convert it to a format I use. I would rather convert a file then mess up my codecs in windows. If you want links to any of the stuff I mentioned let me know.
HTH,
newfiend
EDIT: GSpot can be had here: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 am

Thanks again for the info. I had already done some of what you mention but I will start clean and see what happens. So far, a clean install of the AMD drivers made no difference.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:42 am

I would say you'll need to format reinstall, you won't get shark codecs out cleanly without a struggle !
Lee