Windows 10 will be an automatic “recommended” update in 2016

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10 will be an automatic “recommended” update in 2016

Post by glugglug » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:04 am

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... next-year/

They must be confusing support calls from people looking to remove Windows 10 with those looking for the update.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 am

I agree it's annoying for it to download for those who don't want it - but at the same time you won't just wake up one day and have Windows 10 on your computer. You would still need to actively install it yourself, even with them changing it to a recommended update.

taraba

Post by taraba » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:31 pm

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... next-year/

Just a warning for those that want to keep WMC on their computer. You'll have to turn off automatic installation of updates for a while.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:58 pm

I'm all for keeping my MC updated, but never automatically.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:07 pm

The installer will still require human intervention to actually complete—you won't wake up to find your PC with a different operating system—but Windows users will no longer need to actively seek the upgrade.
No reason to disable automatic updates.

Tester

Post by Tester » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Will keep Win7 as long as I continue to use MC. In my opinion there is no reason to upgrade to 8 nor 10 for the sake of MC.
And since I sideload critical updates through my network, this Win10 nonsense will never be an issue for my setup, at least I hope.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:49 pm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/30 ... 0_updates/

Could be interesting to see how this goes over. What happens when people who aren't technically savvy realize that they lost features going to 10? I mean theoretically users of Media Center keep up on what's going on, but I honestly don't pay much attention when things work. Maybe there could be a big enough backlash for MS to at least add Media Center back into 10. (Pie in the sky dreaming is free, right?)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Bryan wrote:
The installer will still require human intervention to actually complete—you won't wake up to find your PC with a different operating system—but Windows users will no longer need to actively seek the upgrade.
No reason to disable automatic updates.
Except for every screwup that MS has had in the past, some of which trashed WMC and some of which trashed enterprise computers and cost companies A LOT of money.

Screw automatic updates. That's for suckers to try and let the rest of us know how it went.

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:32 am

It's difficult to know what every M$ update is... even the infamous Win 10 Nag update (KB3035583) is described as "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)" When you look for more info it says "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows...." and you have to read the KB article to know that it doesn't resolve an issue, that it's just nag ware.

The average Windows user won't read (or understand) a KB article.

(For those who want to stop the nagware, you can remove and block the update)

Mystic95Z

Post by Mystic95Z » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Ed  wrote:I agree it's annoying for it to download for those who don't want it - but at the same time you won't just wake up one day and have Windows 10 on your computer. You would still need to actively install it yourself, even with them changing it to a recommended update.
Most definitely. I'm running Win 10 on my gaming PC and the initial upgrade from Win 7 was disastrous (all kinds of lock ups and freezes) ended up having to do a clean install. I've turned off auto updates on my Win 7 HTPC, I'd be pissed if I woke up and it was running Win 10 and WMC was gone...

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:43 pm

I'm reading that MS is getting pretty aggressive about pushing the Win10 update, to the point where it now is on the "recommended" list and will happen to people who just take automatic "recommended" updates.

How is MS handling those who use WMC? They can't possibly just be shoving that update down, can they? That would be criminal.

I have all updates, and the service, turned off--but I'm waiting for the day MS finds another way to shove it down to me and completely break my DVR.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:21 pm

It will automatically download and prepare Windows 10 for installation, but it "shouldn't" install automatically. But I'm sure Microsoft will try to install Win 10 automatically anyway and say it was a "mistake" or people pressed the "wrong button" or something.

I used this tool to wipe out the Windows 10 notifications, and it says it should prevent Windows 10 from appearing as an update as well. http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html

TV_MCE

Post by TV_MCE » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:42 pm

If you are concerned about an unwanted Windows 10 "Upgrade", here is a process described to me by Microsoft support, which I have successfully implemented on two PCs. The Windows 10 Upgrade can be disabled by taking the following steps on Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium:
* In Task manager\Processes tab, select GWX.exe process, hit End Process.
* Delete or rename the C:\Windows\System32\GWX directory.
* Reboot. The Windows 10 system tray icon and pop ups are gone.

* (Optional) If the Windows 10 recommended update shows up later in Windows update (it has not yet for me), right click on it and hit Hide Update--according to the person I spoke to, this process will need to be repeated 3 (!) times before it is hidden permanently: Check for Updates, Hide Update, Reboot.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:50 pm

This is when a WSUS server and domain come in handy. All the machines here for home and work are immune to this hassle crap.

*smug* ;) ...sorry...lol...
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:00 pm

I recommend GWX Control Panel.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 pm

I installed GWX Control Panel on my in law's PCs.

They use a Verizon hot spot as it's the only Internet they can get. A few months back they went over their data cap -- when I ran GWX Windows had hidden pre-cached Windows 10 installation files despite my disabling downloading of updates without being told to. :|

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:06 pm

There is a reg edit direct from Microsoft to disable OS upgrade.... It's listed here

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-blo ... -home-too/

and a perk,when I applied this KEY to WIndows 7, On MSN.com it no longer shows the "Microsoft suggests Windows 10" pop ups all the time, MEGA annoying.

I am going to push this key out via group policy to all my computers.

On my W7 HTPC, I have updates disabled, I do MANUALLY check them time to time and go through them one by one to see what they do before installing anything.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012