Ceton vs. Gibson Lawsuit

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 pm

makryger wrote:Well, I do certainly like the concept they were working on- a new media center with cablecard and wireless streaming capability for a whole-home distribution. Too bad it degenerated into a lawsuit, though. It shows that Ceton isn't giving up on the Media Center concept yet (even if media center is slowly decaying).
Sorry, but I don't have time to read the whole complaint and counter-suit. Where do you see that they were working on Media Center with CableCARD and Wireless streaming? From what I've read, this was about wireless audio... not video, and not CableCARD. Please elaborate.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
makryger wrote:Well, I do certainly like the concept they were working on- a new media center with cablecard and wireless streaming capability for a whole-home distribution. Too bad it degenerated into a lawsuit, though. It shows that Ceton isn't giving up on the Media Center concept yet (even if media center is slowly decaying).
Sorry, but I don't have time to read the whole complaint and counter-suit. Where do you see that they were working on Media Center with CableCARD and Wireless streaming? From what I've read, this was about wireless audio... not video, and not CableCARD. Please elaborate.
The appendices aren't particularly detailed, but they do have a number of diagrams- one mock-up of a device with a cablecard slot, and various different home-diagrams that suggest wireless connections. I'm kind of making some inferences from those details, though it could certainly be different.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 am

makryger wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:
The appendices aren't particularly detailed, but they do have a number of diagrams- one mock-up of a device with a cablecard slot, and various different home-diagrams that suggest wireless connections. I'm kind of making some inferences from those details, though it could certainly be different.
Actually the SOW was quite detailed on what Ceton was proposing to produce for Gibson. It definitely included Cablecard and a DVR; this was proposed in what they called The Advanced Media Hub and is centered around the Intel Berryville SoC processor. The proposed hub also uses WiFi and WiSA technology for wireless communication to streaming media clients and audio to speakers. I hope this eventually gets produced...very cool.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:36 am

I just checked it out and I also hope that it gets produced. I now can see why the Android update for the echo went away. Ceton was moving that update into this project. All and all if it would have been made it was going to be the Q and the echo like Ceton envisioned with some nice wireless speakers which I am all for. I read the example of the search given in the document and it was the exact same example that Ceton did for the Q at CES 2 years ago. I hope it all works out for Ceton.

werds

Post by werds » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 am

Just13d wrote:I just checked it out and I also hope that it gets produced. I now can see why the Android update for the echo went away. Ceton was moving that update into this project. All and all if it would have been made it was going to be the Q and the echo like Ceton envisioned with some nice wireless speakers which I am all for. I read the example of the search given in the document and it was the exact same example that Ceton did for the Q at CES 2 years ago. I hope it all works out for Ceton.
Interesting! Although not holding my breath... but definitely curious now...

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:34 pm

I wonder how many guys who used to post here and have since vanished once the echo lost the android support worked or were associated with Gibson in some way? I wonder if the Gibson guys were the ones who got to BETA test! Am I going out too far on this?

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:12 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote: Am I going out too far on this?
Yes.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:34 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:I wonder how many guys who used to post here and have since vanished once the echo lost the android support worked or were associated with Gibson in some way? I wonder if the Gibson guys were the ones who got to BETA test! Am I going out too far on this?
One thing's for sure; you have an active imagination.

ianken

Post by ianken » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:14 am

I'm chuckling at all the grief over echo. Why would ceton continue investing in media center at all? It's dead. The people who built it have moved on. ROFL.

That said, grabbing the popcorn. I think that ceton was foolish to do any work without a real contract.
(former) test lead - Media Center A/V Pipeline
Std Disclaimer. No warranties...blah blah

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

/Split Topic: For discussion about the future of Media Center please visit:
Is Media Center Dead?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Not that it really matters, but what's going on with this lawsuit? Has there been any news?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:34 pm

reggie14 wrote:Not that it really matters, but what's going on with this lawsuit? Has there been any news?
Inquiring minds want to know.. well mine anyhow!

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:57 pm

You can gleam a little bit from the document titles http://www.lawsuitdata.com/lawsuit-data ... documents/

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Out of curiosity, did anyone hang on to the PDF of Gibson's complaint? It was available online at one point, but after the Tennessean updated their website it got rid of the link to it. I can't find it anywhere now, other than by paying $12 for it off the website RyC found. I believe (most) court documents are public records, so it should be legal to redistribute them.

RyC's link is interesting in that it shows that there's been a slow, but constant, stream of court filings. The lawsuit appears to be continuing to move forward.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:07 pm

While the court documents are public record unless they are sealed by court order for some legal reason (minor offender for example) they don't have to be free as there are hard costs to storing and retrieving documents. The courts have been charging for access to these records around here for quite some time. It may well be that the linked site above is merely a third party contracted by this particular court to handle document storage and retrieval.

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Sammy2 wrote:While the court documents are public record unless they are sealed by court order for some legal reason (minor offender for example) they don't have to be free as there are hard costs to storing and retrieving documents. The courts have been charging for access to these records around here for quite some time. It may well be that the linked site above is merely a third party contracted by this particular court to handle document storage and retrieval.
Sure, the court (and other local/state/federal offices) can charge people fees to find and copy public records. But, the records themselves are not protected by copyright, and can be reproduced and redistributed without permission. RECAP is an academic project based on that.

I'm pretty sure that LawsuitData.com site just crawls PACER (and other data sources), indexes what is available, and buys them from the source when a document is requested. Then, if someone else later comes along and asks for the same thing they can just sell them the version they already have. I highly doubt they have any arrangement with the court. The court has their own page, but it requires a PACER login.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:49 pm

I have a pacer login through my work and can get the pleadings if anyone is really interested.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:02 pm

A conclusion to this case, through a little bit of Google searching, I found out the case was dismissed on 8/15/16 with this judgement:

ORDER: Judgment is hereby entered in favor of Plaintiff, Gibson Brands, Inc., and against Defendant, Ceton Corp, in the amount of $953,334.43. Defendant's counterclaims are dismissed with prejudice. Each party shall bear its own costs and fees. Entry of this order shall constitute the final judgment in the case. Signed by District Judge Waverly D. Crenshaw, Jr on 8/15/2016. (jw)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:50 am

RyC wrote: ORDER: Judgment is hereby entered in favor of Plaintiff, Gibson Brands, Inc., and against Defendant, Ceton Corp, in the amount of $953,334.43.
:shock:
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:05 am

that's what Gibson said--

--because they asked for $12 mil.