Intel's new NUC gets Kaby Lake CPU, 4K, and Thunderbolt

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.

Intel's new NUC gets Kaby Lake CPU, 4K, and Thunderbolt

Post#1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:31 pm

User avatar
Scallica
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: 6 June 2011
Location: USA!
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB VeteranStaff
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Post#2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:42 am

What would you plan to do with it, if you had one?

After reading a bit, the 4K ready has my interest.
User avatar
Crash2009
 
Posts: 3683
Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#3 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:00 pm

4k...the next great hope for future TV sales. 3D is dead again. Curved screens are essentially dead. The only thing they have to try to get you to buy another TV is 4k. I see no reason to move away from 1080p. The same crappy content isn't going to be better with more pixels.
User avatar
Venom51
 
Posts: 538
Joined: 12 June 2011
Location: Cumming,GA
1+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#4 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Just waiting for software based for 4K Blu-ray discs on the PC an affordable drive, and put a pulgin in WMC.. and then we have 4K in WMC !

Neat looking device but, If it could have a optical drive for 4K blu-ray drive, then it would fit my needs.... as streaming sources have a very low bit rate and are not that impressive over a 1080p blu-ray/full rip.
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 930
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP

Post#5 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:24 pm

I'd love to find a cheap previous generation model as a new HTPC. Tons of power (for the job) in a tiny package. The new ones sound great too, just more than I need.
Bryan
 
Posts: 189
Joined: 10 December 2012
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#6 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Venom51 wrote:4k...the next great hope for future TV sales. 3D is dead again. Curved screens are essentially dead. The only thing they have to try to get you to buy another TV is 4k. I see no reason to move away from 1080p. The same crappy content isn't going to be better with more pixels.


Hear hear.

I don't even need 1080p. 1080i is fine with me.

Yeah, they're all desperately trying "the next big thing" for everyone to dump their perfectly good TVs for.

The only thing that attracted me about 3D TVs was that they were necessarily built of higher quality, using better materials, than the average TV. So if I wanted a TV at the time, I would have bought 3D to get a good one.

In the world where it's always a race to the bottom for price, because the manufacturers perceive that EVERYONE without exception wants "the lowest price," it's hard to find a product with value. They're either chasing a low price point, or else they're bringing out the "latest and greatest" and attracting the numbnuts that have to have that stuff at any price--to show off, or whatever. But where's my 1080p set with a very high quality display and solid, fast electronics to back it up? Tough to find.

It's tough to spend a couple, three thousand dollars on a rock-solid performer in a world full of either $699 units or $6999 units.

Thin is now in. Mount display on the wall, run cables inside the wall behind, control box and speakers are elsewhere. You know what? I don't want that. Maybe I just want a...TV.

Two or three years ago I bought a 50" refurb HiSense. Plenty of inputs, surprisingly good screen, great speakers, for a basement application. $300 shipped. I can't buy a TV today that's truly all in one with any kind of speakers whatsoever, for a basic TV application. They've made things so thin, plus they've cost-reduced the speakers to ten cents...every TV now has to have some sort of add-on speaker system JUST to act as a TV. That's nuts.
adam1991
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: 11 June 2011

Post#7 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:09 pm

adam1991 wrote:I don't even need 1080p. 1080i is fine with me.


Netflix @ 240i
Nice.
Rock Solid...
User avatar
STC
 
Posts: 6789
Joined: 6 June 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB VeteranStaff
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Post#8 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 am

Hey, how much do you need Netflix to shove down to your 4.5 inch phone screen...
adam1991
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: 11 June 2011

Post#9 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 am

3D had its moments, but they were rare. Everybody gets a big kick out of the grouper scene in IMAX Under the sea. As you walk into the room you are greeted by a six foot grouper in your face. Comcast had a 3D channel with a bunch of crappy content, didn't miss it when it was removed. Football games in simulated 3D have their moments, but usually the only thing that gets a rise out of anyone, is.....When the camera man zooms in on the pileup, the pileup looks like its in the room.

Yeah, basically dead.

Some interesting ?D things going on in Asia. Saw pictures of 2 things I thought were interesting. One was in a hockey arena....Dragon flys out of the ice then proceeds to fly around the entire arena. Another was a hotel lobby with dolfins doing the watusi in the lobby then disappearing by diving into the floor. These might have been holographic, I didnt see anyone wearing special glasses.

Novelty acts....see them once, and the thrill is over.

Getting back on topic...this NUC looks quite powerfull.
User avatar
Crash2009
 
Posts: 3683
Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#10 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Crash2009 wrote:3D had its moments, but they were rare. Everybody gets a big kick out of the grouper scene in IMAX Under the sea. As you walk into the room you are greeted by a six foot grouper in your face. Comcast had a 3D channel with a bunch of crappy content, didn't miss it when it was removed. Football games in simulated 3D have their moments, but usually the only thing that gets a rise out of anyone, is.....When the camera man zooms in on the pileup, the pileup looks like its in the room.

Yeah, basically dead.

Some interesting ?D things going on in Asia. Saw pictures of 2 things I thought were interesting. One was in a hockey arena....Dragon flys out of the ice then proceeds to fly around the entire arena. Another was a hotel lobby with dolfins doing the watusi in the lobby then disappearing by diving into the floor. These might have been holographic, I didnt see anyone wearing special glasses.

Novelty acts....see them once, and the thrill is over.

Getting back on topic...this NUC looks quite powerfull.


Yea, 3-D has been MEH over all. I did see one that I was impressed on, I have a copy of it. I forget the name but, it was the movie about the GUY whe walked over a wire between the NYC twin towers (edit: think it was called "Man on a Wire" from 2008). When he looked over the edge, I could feel like I was geting a little dizzy. I actually heard that people were upchucking in the theater with this movie.

Over all, 3-D has been gimics and I was never impressed besides one movie...
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 930
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP

Post#11 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 am

DavidinCT wrote:Man on a Wire" from 2008
I'll have to download the 3D version.

What do you think of this NUC? You have a 4 K Tv don't you. Would it be better than what you are using now? The only thing I have against the NUC's is that if they record protected on the server, they can only play their own recordings. All of your channels are protected (aren't they?) Would a NUC do anything for you?
User avatar
Crash2009
 
Posts: 3683
Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:06 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Man on a Wire" from 2008
I'll have to download the 3D version.

What do you think of this NUC? You have a 4 K Tv don't you. Would it be better than what you are using now? The only thing I have against the NUC's is that if they record protected on the server, they can only play their own recordings. All of your channels are protected (aren't they?) Would a NUC do anything for you?


By the way, the movie itself is a little cheezy at some points but, the 3-D effect was why I watched it...

The NUC looks ok for what it is. I guess I am waiting for a PC level to play 4K blu-ray, so with out a media drive, I dont think it would fit my needs. My Media Center has 12.5tb of storage in it (2x5tb for movies, 2tb for recorded shows, and a 500gb SSD for OS dualboot with 7/8/1 w/WMC). Not sure where I could fit all those drives in that !

Over all spec wise it looks pretty powerufll but, also a problem with Microsoft. If your running WMC it might not be good for it.. Microsoft did say new CPUS were not going to be supported (updated drivers) in 7 or 8.1, only 10, so you would need to run WIndows 10 Media Center. Although it works, I would not use it for a primary WMC machine (AKA HTPC)as there would be one update and your done.

I have 4K, and I just updated my video card to a GTX1050 so I can play HEVC/h265 videos in 4k(hardware decoding)....very happy with it BTW... My first movie was 115gb in 4K (OMG !) and with the new video card, it is FLAWLESS in WMC @ 4K...
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 930
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP

Post#13 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Man on a Wire" from 2008
I'll have to download the 3D version.

What do you think of this NUC? You have a 4 K Tv don't you. Would it be better than what you are using now? The only thing I have against the NUC's is that if they record protected on the server, they can only play their own recordings. All of your channels are protected (aren't they?) Would a NUC do anything for you?


Crash, I was think about this today for some reason...ITS not MAN ON A WIRE.... It's called "The Walk" from 2015... I was doing changes in my WMC movie library and it came to mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walk_(2015_film)

This is the movie I was talking about that is really crazy in 3-D
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 930
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP


Return to News and Announcements



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron