Silicondust released Xbox One/Windows 10 DVR app

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
audinutt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Silicondust released Xbox One/Windows 10 DVR app

Post by audinutt » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:31 pm

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/16/hdh ... -xbox-one/

DRM is supported it appears.. It's app runs on w10 and tablets, looks like the future to me.

-Richard

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 am

For many of us who have been using WMC and invested in the SD Kickstarter campaign, DRM support was the primary reason for supporting SD's DVR project - the one feature that isn't available from any of the other already existing DVR solutions that have been running on Windows.

We're over a year into the project, and they are still working to get DRM support running on Windows. Evidently they've encountered some challenges in getting DRM to work in a Windows Universal app (which runs on Windows 10 and Xbox One), and it's not clear if they'll be able to solve that problem.

They have made more progress on other platforms.

Though for those of us who have been long time WMC users, using DRM and Xbox 360 extenders, it appears SD's first release of their DVR software (even if they get DRM working) will fall short of being a WMC replacement. As least for their first release (SD hasn't provided any information on their short or long term plans), we'll likely stay on WMC 8.1, as long as we can keep everything working - and if WMC does stop working, TiVo appears to be the best alternative today - closest to providing the functionality we've long been using with WMC, along with newer features, such as integration with the major streaming services and Comcast's On Demand programming.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:03 pm

I didn't hold my breath for any of this.

I remember when ReplayTV decided to move to a software-only company. They screwed it up so badly, they very quickly pulled the product. It was as if they gave the name "ReplayTV" to a bunch of remote engineers, along with some vague descriptions of general functionality, and said "go". It had zero in common with the wonderful Replay hardware, and was missing functionality.

I wonder if this whole "build a DVR" is harder than it looks. Certainly DRM throws a monkey into the wrench.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:17 pm

DRM alone isn't all that hard. From what I understand, what is hard/expensive is working with CableLabs to get it certified.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... y-wmc.html

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:36 pm

^Yea although SD certainly had enough in the crowd fund pot to do that as well as develop the softs and have a week in Hawaii.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:51 am

To my understanding the amount they originally wanted on the Kickstarter was for the CableLabs certification.
Space wrote:DRM alone isn't all that hard. From what I understand, what is hard/expensive is working with CableLabs to get it certified.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:54 am

choliscott wrote:To my understanding the amount they originally wanted on the Kickstarter was for the CableLabs certification.
Space wrote:DRM alone isn't all that hard. From what I understand, what is hard/expensive is working with CableLabs to get it certified.

Yep. That's why we gave them hundreds of thousands of dollars for that hard/expensive certification.

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:59 pm

I won't buy any of their products until DRM is functional.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:40 pm

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:37 pm

The amount contributed to SD for the Kickstarter project was inflated, since much of that money was actually used to purchase hardware, in conjunction with the DVR project contribution. We bought an extra HDHR Prime to use for testing of the SD DVR software, and to use as a replacement for our Ceton tuner, if/when we shifted from WMC to SD DVR.

If they had released the software, with the promised functionality, on the original schedule, the kickstarter funding should have been enough to cover their costs.

But the project is now over a year old - we've long since missed the originally project release date - and we still don't have DRM working, which was the primary reason for this project, at least from our perspective.

SD shouldn't need additional cablelabs certification for this project. The technology they are planning to use has already been certified. The big problem appears to be getting DRM to work within the constraints Microsoft has placed on the Universal Windows environment imposed on apps delivered through Microsoft's store for Windows 10 and Xbox One. If they had instead had first focused on delivering a legacy Windows app, installed through Windows installers and not the app store, it's likely they would have had DRM working long before now on Windows - just not available through the Windows store - and not able to run on Xbox One.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:38 pm

I have the feeling that our "recording of protected" days are over. I don't even see a TV in this video from CableLabs.

http://thenearfuture.network

Even though Silicon Dust says: TV will play on Windows Holographic, as well as a few other things.
Attachments
HDHomeRun001.jpg

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:04 pm

did that video come out before or after the Florida Tesla accident? is accident even the right word for that incident?

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:43 am

audinutt wrote:I won't buy any of their products until DRM is functional.

Your position should be that you won't purchase any DRM protected content.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Although you effectively purchase it then strip it via the analogue loop hole ;)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:31 pm

audinutt wrote:I won't buy any of their products until DRM is functional.
Here is another look from a different perspective...

1) The App is free
2) Drm is not broken on Win10 10586, and any OS prior to that. (not sure how far back)

Your objection to purchase, should be with Microsoft, not SiliconDust.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:39 pm

STC wrote:Although you effectively purchase it then strip it via the analogue loop hole ;)
True...

I am in the process of kicking DirecTV out of my life now that they are owned by AT&T.

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:16 pm

Not sure what you mean I can't watch DRM content with the SD unit from what I have found so I won't purchase it until I can. My ceton tuner will have to do

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Just verified, my Windows 10 app still can't watch the DRM channels.

And even if SD gets DRM working on Windows 10 or on Xbox One, it seems unlikely I'll get family support to use that instead of WMC. The lack of a program guide grid is a deal killer with the family, along with several of their other design decisions.

For those of us using WMC in a whole home DVR environment, we don't appear to be SD's primary target, at least for their first release. Instead, it feels like they are shooting for a different audience, by supporting many different platforms, with less functionality, and hoping that will generate more hardware sales for new customers that don't have any SD tuners today. Unfortunately, WMC users have already purchased their tuners - so unless SD decides to start charging more for the DVR software and annual service, sadly, we won't generate much revenue for them...