GetChannels for Apple TV adding DVR functions

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.

GetChannels for Apple TV adding DVR functions

Post#1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:33 pm

https://getchannels.com

This seems to be gaining steam rather quickly. Lots of disgruntled HomeRun DVR Kickstarter doners are on board. They've started a community for the DVR project. Of course, no DRM support yet.
kd6icz

Post#2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Hmmm...reason enough to keep my AppleTV 3 that I never use?
frostillicus

Post#3 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:30 pm

What Apple TV is this supported on? I'm not familiar with those models.
LuckyDay

Post#4 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:45 pm

"watch live linear TV on some device".

Yawn. I can't believe anyone spent any time on something like this.
adam1991

Post#5 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:06 pm

adam1991 wrote:"watch live linear TV on some device".

Yawn. I can't believe anyone spent any time on something like this.

I don't see things like this replacing something as robust as WMC or TiVo but I do think more apps and devices supporting HD Homerun is a good thing.

I would look at something like this to add a tv in a spare room, garage, basement etc. I have a Roku in these areas already but adding something that has a better live tv interface would just be a bonus.
LuckyDay

Post#6 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 am

Disclaimer: I'm a Channels developer

Hey guys, come check out what we've done in the time since this thread got started. Our DVR is fully shipped and has tons of fans. It's fully featured and works on any platform you throw it at.

While yes, Channels alone is a linear TV app, it turns into a full fledged DVR when you set up Channels DVR on a computer/nas on your home network. All management is through the app and it includes remote viewing as well. Even as a linear TV app without the DVR add on, people really love being able to watch most of their content via streaming apps while still being able to drop in on live events like sports and award shows, all without having to change any inputs. We're pretty happy with the results and so is everyone else in the community.

Give us a look!
maddox

Return to News and Announcements