How to: Sky TV & MCE

For country-specific questions and topics regarding Media Center
mrphil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mrphil » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 pm

wbroadley wrote:Sorry, can you explain your set up? You've got oscam installed on a raspberry pi and how is that connected to your HTPC?
Oscam runs over tcp/ip, so all you have to do is change the acamd config from 127.0.0.1 which references your htpc to the fixed IP address of the Raspberry pi. After installing oscam on the pi I literally copied over the working configs from my htpc to the pi and pointed acamd at the new address and it just worked. Never had an issue with the card reader since, which on Windows seems to be caused by plug and play.

I followed this guide to set up my dedicated raspberry pi http://linuxsat-support.com/raspberry-p ... ratch.html

Incidentally I have a cron job to reboot the pi every day at 4am to keep it ticking along.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 pm

well, my entitlements have now run out, and they're not being updated...

now when we try to record something off any of the Sky encrypted channels, we get "not able to decode" being reported in the acamdmonitor.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am

tony_park wrote:
bobbob wrote:there are some issues with oscam and entitlements http://www.avforums.com/forums/windows/ ... st19278720

the most reliable way of it working is through a dreambox, i've been using this setup for 4+ years now. i have a full set of sky logos at home which i will try to remember to post back here for you. but i'm off to the pub now so may need reminding
Reminder :-)
sorry https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/395 ... 0logos.zip i don't come round these parts too often anymore...

tony, i'm still confused and i'm not sure you answered it. why would you put the sky card back in the sky box if the dreambox continues to update entitlements? or is this just an issue for new users? basically what i'm taking from this is that i should continue to use my dreambox for as long as possible and hope at some point a workaround is developed?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm definitely keeping my Sky card (only used as FreesatFromSky currently) in my dreambox just in case I ever want to subscribe to any of the pay channels (unlikely tbh).

It'll be interesting to see whether the extra entitlements hit the card without having to use the $ky box if I ever do try it............?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 pm

tony_park wrote:well, my entitlements have now run out, and they're not being updated...

now when we try to record something off any of the Sky encrypted channels, we get "not able to decode" being reported in the acamdmonitor.

:thumbdown:
Rob.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 pm

bobbob wrote: tony, i'm still confused and i'm not sure you answered it. why would you put the sky card back in the sky box if the dreambox continues to update entitlements? or is this just an issue for new users? basically what i'm taking from this is that i should continue to use my dreambox for as long as possible and hope at some point a workaround is developed?
Hi

unfortunately once my entitlements ran out on 22nd July, no encrypted channels would decode, that's HD and SD channels alike.

Once I put my viewing card back in my $ky STB, the entitlements updated to 25th Sept 2013, I'll be watching to see if any of these update automatically, or whether I need to re-introduce the STB to update entitlements again on a bimonthly basis. I'll report back with my findings.

OSCAM dev are trying to work on a solution, which I'm following via the thread.

HTH

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks for the logos bobbob!

mrphil

Post by mrphil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:40 am

tony_park wrote:
unfortunately once my entitlements ran out on 22nd July, no encrypted channels would decode, that's HD and SD channels alike.

Once I put my viewing card back in my $ky STB, the entitlements updated to 25th Sept 2013, I'll be watching to see if any of these update automatically, or whether I need to re-introduce the STB to update entitlements again on a bimonthly basis. I'll report back with my findings.
There must be something different about your config. My entitlements updated this week from 25th Aug to 15th September. Card hasn't been in Sky box since the day they the installer put the dish up. There is a problem with Oscam not decoding HD once encryption is updated by a Sky box but the measures weren't yet being aimed at SD due to number of older SD boxes in circulation that don't support the new encryption.

Sky have been writing to customers offering a free upgrade to HD boxes and to those with the older HD box they have said they will stop getting HD unless they take the upgrade.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 am

mrphil wrote:
tony_park wrote:

There must be something different about your config. My entitlements updated this week from 25th Aug to 15th September. Card hasn't been in Sky box since the day they the installer put the dish up. There is a problem with Oscam not decoding HD once encryption is updated by a Sky box but the measures weren't yet being aimed at SD due to number of older SD boxes in circulation that don't support the new encryption.

Sky have been writing to customers offering a free upgrade to HD boxes and to those with the older HD box they have said they will stop getting HD unless they take the upgrade.
Unfortunately I'm not the only one affected. There is an interesting 22 page thread on the Oscam forums about numerous others affected.

mrphil

Post by mrphil » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 am

Can only assume the difference is I've never subscribed to HD because it doesn't work on dma2100 and I have 4 of them. I do have full movies and sports SD subscription and I'm still getting entitlement updates, maybe I'm not yet on the radar because the pay card servers all offer HD subscriptions so Sky have gone after people with HD and full package first.

Either way, their having a laugh if they think ill use the crappy Sky box, I'll just cancel my sub and use Netflix & blinkbox. I'm sure I can get the F1 coverage by other means as well. I understand wanting to protect their business but this seems like an expensive way to do it, could have just changed the ECMs so each card can only decode 2 channels simultaneously which I think is the maximum number of tuners you can get in a Sky box anyway.

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45 pm

For anyone using the Omnikey card reader you might be interested to know about Daisyb's script, see here: http://www.avforums.com/threads/howto-s ... 73/page-11

This solves the entitlements issue by:
1. Disable and then re-enable the Omnikey card reader using Devcon
2. Restart the Oscam service
3. Check for the entitlements in the oscam log
4. if found stop, else loop again

Since using this script I haven't experienced any issues with the omnikey card reader

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Nice :)

I keep thinking about signing up for $ky again just for the discovery channels etc... MC is the only way I'd ever do it now.

I'm keeping my freesatfromsky card updated in the dm500s - just in case.
Rob.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm

i was one of the first people to get a sky hd box and i still haven't had any communication from Sky to say they need to upgrade my box, my entitlements now run until 25 Jan 2014 and everything is still hunky dory. a guy on the avforums thread was predicting we would all be cut off in august, then i was supposed to be picked up in Autumn 2013 and its still going. all i can say is i am still grateful that mine is working!!

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi Bob,

I've since moved back to using a dreambox, running just cccam 2.1.3, and this is updating my entitlements again. Not sure whether HD channels will decode, as we removed the HD channels from our subscription. May see if I can borrow my neighbours card at somepoint to see if his work in my dreambox, after being in the sky stb.

Tony

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 am

Been a while since we posted here so just thought I'd check the latest position for Sky with oscam etc. From my perspective, I am using DVBlink with Oscam/acmad with media center windows 8.1. I can watch all the standard definition sky channels but not the HD ones. Has anyone heard any news on fixing the HD problem? I've read about pairing the card with an old Thompson box but I'm not keen to explore that option. Anyone got any ideas or heard anything recently on this?

NWW

Post by NWW » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:55 am

Not Sky, but my provider (TNTSAT) has also overencrypted the package. I have given up on OScam and/or pay channels on my HTPC (or on TV in general). I am more than happy with FreeSat, and some FTA satellite channels, and my local DVB-T channels.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 pm

wbroadley wrote:Been a while since we posted here so just thought I'd check the latest position for Sky with oscam etc. From my perspective, I am using DVBlink with Oscam/acmad with media center windows 8.1. I can watch all the standard definition sky channels but not the HD ones. Has anyone heard any news on fixing the HD problem? I've read about pairing the card with an old Thompson box but I'm not keen to explore that option. Anyone got any ideas or heard anything recently on this?
Not sure about HD channels, but using CCcam 2.1.3 and a Dreambox clone, have my entitlements being updated still. Would be good to find out about HD channels, from someone that has had their card infected by $ky, that can use cccam 2.1.3 to see if the HD channels decrypt. Not sure I want to set up my account with the HD channels again, just to test, as I'll then be tied in for a year!

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:24 pm

HD channels still working on sky for me. Ccam and acamd, I've not changed a thing from initial set up

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm

^ that's the secret I guess! ;)
Rob.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 pm

I did try oscam using the card reader and if that ever became stable enough to rely on I would be interested in going back to it, but WAF demands better than my experience so far. The dreambox has just been rock solid every day for 5 years now