UK DVB-T MUX Goes AWOL

For country-specific questions and topics regarding Media Center
CyberSimian

HTPC Specs: Show details

UK DVB-T MUX Goes AWOL

Post by CyberSimian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Yesterday I discovered that certain DVB-T channels were giving unwatchable reception (frozen video, intermittent audio). I noticed that all of the problem channels resided in the same MUX, namely the MUX that contains ITV4, FILM4, YESTERDAY, 4SEVEN, and a host of trivial channels and audio-only channels. Reception of the other MUXes was perfect.

I powered up my Humax PVR and scanned for channels (using the same aerial as my HTPC). The Humax found all of the standard definition MUXes, with no problem receiving the ITV4 MUX.

I then decided to perform a complete rescan on my (Vista) HTPC, including downloading the channel configuration. That found all SD MUXes apart from the ITV4 MUX.

Finally, I decided to perform a complete rescan on my Win7 test system, just in case this was a Vista problem. But no luck -- after performing the channel scan, MC diagnosed an unknown error and terminated the setup!

Is anyone else in the UK having problems receiving the ITV4 MUX on DVB-T using Media Center? I looked on the Digital Spy web site, but no one is reporting any problems receiving ITV4 (which may simply mean that Digital Spy has very few Windows MC users).

I receive DVB-T/T2 from the Rowridge transmitter, I have Windows Update turned off, and I have not made any changes recently. I also unplugged and replugged all of the aerial cables, just in case oxidation over the past few months had resulted in poor connections.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 am

U aren't in between transmitters are u? Caused me some aggro that! Get a log periodic aerial if so!!
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:02 am

Or... Has the snow shifted yer aerial??
Lee

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am

milli260876 wrote:U aren't in between transmitters are u? Caused me some aggro that!
I don't think so. The Rowridge transmitter (on the Isle of Wight) is roughly 20 miles due south of my location, with no other UK transmitters in the direct line of sight. But Yagi aerials often have minor lobes of increased sensitivity at odd compass angles, so I might be receiving from another transmitter on a minor lobe. However, my Humax PVR receives the missing MUX without problem (using the same aerial as my HTPC), so I don't think that it is an aerial problem.
milli260876 wrote:Or... Has the snow shifted yer aerial??
It's a loft aerial, so unaffected by the snow!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK