Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

For country-specific questions and topics regarding Media Center
joecrow

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by joecrow » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:19 am

Hi

I have been following this post and although I maybe coming out of left field it does seem to me that you have proved that your basic setup CPU/RAM and hard disk looks OK. I do have the following suggestions though:-

Look real close at your video setup is everything set at 1920x1080p x 50hz (including the TV/Monitor setup in Media Center) and any enhancements if available (dynamic contrast etc.) are turned off also if you have any dynamic frame rate changing software disable it.

Are your video and audio drivers current, if not try the latest, if yes try going back to the original version (from the Mobo DVD).

I understand your reluctance to do a clean install of Win 7 but it may prove necessary, as a last resort, if only to eliminate any upgrade issues for troubleshooting purposes. Having recently upgraded my desktop to Win 10 it is really doing some odball things that it never did with Win 7 so I am in the same boat and will do a clean install just as soon as I figure out what I did with the activation codes for some downloaded software and where the hell I put the MS Office disks! :think:

MikeSin

Post by MikeSin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:04 am

Hi thanks for post. I have (temporarily?) resolved the problem by changing media center tv setup to 720p. I can not detect any lack of quality in tv picture
. My TV manufacturer user manual Samsung suggssts that 1080 is OK but not for me it seems. At the720p setting WMC is responsive with no issues at all when asking WMC to perform extra tasks such as guide display over Live TV. So I am hopefully getting close to a stable setup and reliabilty monitor shows 1 day without a crash.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:17 pm

MikeSin wrote:Hi thanks for post. I have (temporarily?) resolved the problem by changing media center tv setup to 720p. I can not detect any lack of quality in tv picture
Glad you are getting somewhere. It might be enlightening to know what BBC HD on DVBT actually is (720 or 1080) the reason I ask is because I only get it over the internet and there it is only 720!

MikeSin

Post by MikeSin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:02 am

According to a wiki I read Freeview SD is broadcast at 576p and as I only have dvb-t tuners the HD signal is not for me. I am going to stick with what works for me and give up wondering why it was only on the BBC mux that I had problems. Reliability of scheduled TV recordings with a dependable EPG is what I wanted and I may have got there - but I am going to start to look to remove my dependence on WMC by developing a different platform .

thanks for interest

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:13 pm

MikeSin wrote:According to a wiki I read Freeview SD is broadcast at 576p
My understanding is this:

Freeview SD is 576i (not 576p). (Specifically, it is: 576i50; see below.)

Freeview HD is either 1080i50 (i50 == interlaced at 50 fields per second),
or 1080p25 (p25 == progressive at 25 frames per second).

A frame consists of two fields.
A field is either the odd-numbered scan lines, or the even-numbered scan lines.

In the UK, the HD datastream can oscillate rapidly between i50 and p25, which can give judder when panning horizontally (depends on settings). I only recently found the settings that cured this (on MediaPortal).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

MikeSin

Post by MikeSin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:13 pm

You are right I should have said 720p which is how I have been operating for the last few days without a glitch. i I will stay with this setting (720p) and consider the migration a success but did it take some hours. Thanks to everyone for their comments