London 2012 Olympic channels

For country-specific questions and topics regarding Media Center
holidayboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by holidayboy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Red button for DVB-S only ever worked on BBC channels (BBC1 only at first I think) but it certainly works well at the moment.

I'm not sure if it was turned off because MS never got around to fully completing it, or if they originally were aiming for Freesat status and gave up, or if it was something else.

I don't recall MS ever talking about it..........
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23 pm

For those of us on the west side of the pond, could you please explain what the red button does for you? Do you press it while watching live TV, or can you press it from anywhere in the Media Center menus... or maybe only in the Guide?

EDIT: I see now. I Googled it and found a website that explains it in great detail and shows videos of the applications in action.

That's a very nice feature. The only thing I've seen in the US that is similar is on US cable TV when using their device... and it is not nearly as good as what you get in the UK.

EDIT 2: After reading more about it, I'm wondering why the FCC couldn't have just used the same thing.

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 pm

The service is predominantly on the BBC Channels here in the UK. A quick search on google will bring up a page on Wiki that explains things well. It's a great service that is actually very useful to use and I'm so pleased I discovered the feature can be turned on in the registry!
Some times I wake up sleepy, other times I let her sleep!

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:46 am

So, after a dreadful closing ceremony the greatest ever Olympic Games have come to a close.

As I've already said, I was wrong, and the BBC coverage, with those 24 extra channels, was brilliant with 90% of the population watching at least 15 minutes. Even in the US it's reported to be "most-watched television event in US history", according to the network that broadcast it.

I leave the Olympics with massive pride in Team GB, the true winners of these Games, and direct you towards this Team GB video featuring Vicky, Jess, Laura and some other Team GB members. ;)

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/aYtpL5YhWOQ

Only a fortnight till the Paralympics start. Four extra channels from Channel 4 for this.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:46 pm

^^ If it wasn't for the BBC, coverage would not have been as good. They are the best technically at production in the World IMO.

The best Olympics? I'm not so sure.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:04 pm

STC wrote:The best Olympics? I'm not so sure.
Best one I've ever watched, anyway!

In terms of medal count it's the best one since London 1908 as well, and that doesn't really count as a modern Games, so I call it the best ever for Team GB. :)

(Quickly looks up where Canada came in the medal table...)

I suppose one gold isn't bad ;) Yorkshire would have been 25 places higher in the medal table than Canada!

EDIT: I see the gold was won in Trampolining. I watched that with my daughter. The Canadian girl was amazing.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Lol. I am a Brit :) living in Canada.

I wasn't so much referring to medal counts but organization.
North America did focus on a lot of the booboo's in the news, it was quite funny to witness the pointy fingers from over here.

I think most of the lighthearted negativity was because people here got fed up of seeing Brits going on about themselves so much :crazy:
The point certainly was made by the Brits that they are proud to be British! :clap:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:22 pm

I've never been a fan of the Olympics in the past but the visuals were spectacular, so I watched some of it this year. The new TV I bought in December 2011 made it all that much better... and the 3D channel was really cool to watch.

I'm sure you're proud of Team GB, but let's not forget that the US was still #1 in the medal count. ;)

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 pm

STC wrote:Lol. I am a Brit :) living in Canada.
Yeah, I know. Lets call it split loyalties! Canada will thrash us come the Winter Olympics.
STC wrote:I wasn't so much referring to medal counts but organization.
North America did focus on a lot of the booboo's in the news, it was quite funny to witness the pointy fingers from over here.
G4S filled the news in the build up, empty seats for the first few days, and then the Team GB medals started arriving and everything else was forgotten!
STC wrote:I think most of the lighthearted negativity was because people here got fed up of seeing Brits going on about themselves so much :crazy:
The point certainly was made by the Brits that they are proud to be British! :clap:
Don't know about Canadians, but Americans have certainly never been guilty of that one! :D
barnabas1969 wrote:I'm sure you're proud of Team GB, but let's not forget that the US was still #1 in the medal count. ;)
Pfft. I'm not impressed. Well, OK, I am really. ;)

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:02 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:

I'm sure you're proud of Team GB, but let's not forget that the US was still #1 in the medal count. ;)
While us Brits are bigging ourselves up (and why shouldn't we, we are a "Great" nation after all! :D ).............

I wonder if the age old 'medals-to-inhabitants', or 'medals to size of country' equations might level things off somewhat?............ :lol:

I'm not a big sports fan to be honest but I do feel particularly proud to be British after watching so many of our sporty folk perform above expectations.

In the words of our London mayor (and next prime minister?) "ZOINK!"
Rob.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:19 pm

^^ How is Bozza?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:26 pm

STC wrote:^^ How is Bozza?
Boris = a huge box of frogs.

I love him :)

That's how politics should be I reckon, those serious MP's are getting us nowhere - fast.
Rob.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 pm

holidayboy wrote:I wonder if the age old 'medals-to-inhabitants', or 'medals to size of country' equations might level things off somewhat?............ :lol:
I hope you realize that I was just teasing you Brits. I've thought the same thing about country size (population). I suppose that would make China look especially bad, wouldn't it?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 pm

holidayboy wrote:I wonder if the age old 'medals-to-inhabitants', or 'medals to size of country' equations might level things off somewhat?............ :lol:
The BBC has published some research on number of medals won relative to population and GDP. It does show that Team GB overperformed, but also that the USA and China did as well. Not too sure of their methodology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19249898
holidayboy wrote:In the words of our London mayor (and next prime minister?) "ZOINK!"
Gotta love Boris. I've always liked him, for all his many, many faults. He won't be PM though.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:28 pm

^^ Insert Coin ^^

My kind of guy.
He doesn't mind being taken the pee of, has a sense of humour and is actually quite intelligent.

[edit] He also doesn't mind flipping the bird if he has to. I doubt he'd make PM, the boring sods already in power would take care of that...

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

The dude is a ledg!!
Rich

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:03 am

holidayboy wrote:In the words of our London mayor (and next prime minister?) "ZOINK!"
I won't be voting for any political party that has a buffoon as its leader.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 am

Did you see Boris dancing during the awful Closing Ceremony?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mHpmI_NV4

Gives hope to us all!
CyberSimian wrote:
I won't be voting for any political party that has a buffoon as its leader.
I appreciate the sentiment, but it will rather restrict your choices.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 am

Mo agrees with you though:

:D

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:37 am

Don't forget people, the Paralympics kicks off tonight. Two more weeks of Team GB awesomeness!

I have noticed though that the four new channels from C4 for this haven't appeared in the guide. I've raised a Connect ticket for MS to ignore till it's too late:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ot-present