How to improve Freeview reception?

For country-specific questions and topics regarding Media Center
mark1234

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to improve Freeview reception?

Post by mark1234 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 am

Whilst I am temporarily without Media Centre I, for the first time, took my aerial lead and connected it to my TV last night. I was a bit surprised that it picked up everything, only having trouble with one mux – which frequency wise is far away from all the other muxes. I was surprised because in 7MC I basically get nothing.

So, as I'm having to reinstall Windows anyway, what can I do to improve Media Centre's reception of Freeview at the same time? The signal strength figure in 7MC lies, is there any reliable diagnostic data I can get at? Would TV Source get a better signal?

I have a range of DVB-T tuners that I've collected over the years, and none has really made any difference.

Any ideas?
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:55 am

Do you have any form of amplifier / booster connected at the moment?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 am

Nope.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Have you checked the signal levels using the menu on the TV? Most sets have a way to check signal level.

MC can be fussy about DVB-T levels - I used to have to disconnect my aerial amp to scan channels, but then reconnect it in order to actually watch them!!!!!

A masthead amp is the best option, but a relatively cheap adjustable amp (sometimes just for the cable feeding the PC tuner) can clear up a lot of signal issues.

I use Televes models and have fitted them for several people who have gone with 7MC for TV viewing.

I have also needed to fit an attenuator in the past - as the TV signal was too strong for MC!
Rob.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Was hoping to avoid throwing more money at this. It's supposed to be Freeview!

I did get the TV to tell me one mux was "very good" signal strength, which is about as useful as the random number 7MC gives. The TV's UI is horrible though, I only found that screen once by accident. I shall take another look.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:06 pm

You can always try the trial version of TVSource for a test. I don't think you'll see a lot of difference in the number of channels found - you never know though!
Rob.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:10 pm

I seldom have issues in finding channels during the scan. It's using them afterwards that's the problem.

I have an unused v3 licence I can use, so I think I'll try. Just to see. Can't be any worse.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:05 pm

powered mast head amplifier as close to the aerial as possible. your aerial might need changing regards the other mux if it isn't picking up. i'd suggest a log-periodic 40 element u can pick them up for about 25 squid...
Lee