Saving recorded movies

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
just trying

HTPC Specs: Show details

Saving recorded movies

Post by just trying » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Possible this inquiry is misplaced on this forum. If so, please refer me to the right forum. Thank you.
I am a long time Dish customer. I have used a DVR ever since they became available. And when it became possible I plugged an external hard drive in to increase its storage capacity. I lost more movies than I can remember when DVRs went bad or were upgraded. I understand that movies transferred from the DVR to the external are encoded, which would make them useless on any other device. There has to be a way to decode the movies and make them usable on a PC. That is the information I seek.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:41 am

Many people are still trying. Probably won't work directly.

Most people end up with a Hauppauge Colossus or similar, and stream the recording (realtime playback) to the PC for further, unfettered use.

just trying

Post by just trying » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Their website gives me the impression that it works with the DVR. My interest is in working with the data on an external hard drive AFTER it has been through the DVR.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:47 pm

What Adam is cryptically suggesting is you manually play each one and re-record through a device via component (analogue loop hole) such as the Hauppauge Colossus.
Doing so would strip DRM and enable you to be able to play the recordings anywhere with only a slight loss of original PQ. A lot of manual effort involved.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:30 pm

just trying wrote:Their website gives me the impression that it works with the DVR.
I have no idea what you mean by that.

My interest is in working with the data on an external hard drive AFTER it has been through the DVR.
Understood completely. That's what I answered; can't be done directly. The content is encrypted, and not in a format you can use nor decrypt.

So, you do it indirectly. You must play it back, linear/analog, to a capture device such as the Hauppauge Colossus or similar to get it in a format you *can* work with.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:55 pm

adam1991 wrote:
just trying wrote:Their website gives me the impression that it works with the DVR.
I have no idea what you mean by that.
Using the Colossus as the original recording device from an STB, analogue through WMC or similar.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

just trying

Post by just trying » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:44 pm

I understand but with maybe 600 movies, I don't even want to think about that. In a similar vein, I assume the output from the DVR to the TV is not encrypted and could be recorded normally at that point but same problem of time, mass of work involved. I want some way to process the data on the external hard drive en mass or with a reasonable amount of time and trouble. Thank you for your efforts.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:03 pm

The output from the DVR via analog cabling--component, composite, RF--is not encrypted.

Yes, we realize you were looking for a way to process the digital files on the hard drive. Alas, the system you chose initially was the wrong system for your current end goal. No provider-owned or -provided system will let you have access to the files outside the specific device they provided. That's why we use WMC. Cable providers can still mark programs as "copy once", such that they can't be used outside the system, but those programs that aren't marked as such are easily and readily processed as digital files to do exactly what you want.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:55 pm

adam1991 wrote:The output from the DVR via analog cabling--component, composite, RF--is not encrypted.
Indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct