Windows Update KB3035583

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Update KB3035583

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed May 13, 2015 5:29 pm

This update supposedly makes it possible for Microsoft to push down ads related to Windows 10. May want to make sure you rid it from your system, otherwise you may be watching TV and see Ads pop up behind Media Center? Not sure how they are implementing this. But I am going to stay on the side of caution and not install it!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/09 ... _machines/

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for the "Heads Up"

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri May 15, 2015 7:26 pm

There have been several of these "updates" in the past few months. Becoming more leary of Windows Update in general...

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to ... s-7-and-8/

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 pm

This reappeared in my Windows Update yesterday, even though I hid it. Have to keep an eye out for these things.

So did KB2952664, with a bogus publish date of 7/14/2015.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:30 am

I think I had one box (fairly new build) (updates were not shut off). KB 3035583 got through, as I recall it was fairly easy to get rid of.

As the article said KB 3035583 was a "recommended update". As you likely know, If updates are turned off, and you still have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, critical updates still get through. Holidayboy came up with a good one to stop updates dead in their tracks. Unfortunately soon as you update MSE, I think the door gets open again.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 751#p69751

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:54 am

That was a great thread reference Crash2009. Thanks for pointing it out. Silly me. I simply used the GUI to "Never check for updates" and wondered why I would occasionally see the system do a DNS query for the microsoft update site. This is why I flip-flop between loving and hating Microsoft. Too many placebos now in the UI.

I just read that Win10 will not even allow us to turn off updates, but that probably means there is no more GUI placebo and the only way to turn them off will be the services menu.

bad caddy

Post by bad caddy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:22 am

I've had the most frustrating three weeks where both my PCs running Windows 7 64 and Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe and InfiniTV 4 USB respectively (plus Echo extenders) went absolutely insane. Both PCs started by dropping the connections to their Echos and WMC refusing to allow them to reconnect. Then WMC would indiscriminately allow/not allow video giving various messages of *No TV signal*/Weak TV signal/No Tuner Available or perhaps another half dozen error messages. Then came the ultimate. WMC would record perfect programming on channels it insisted there was no TV signal! In fact it was only possible to watch Live TV by first recording a channel and viewing the program as it recorded! I thought perhaps I had a virus of some sort but everything I tried couldn't find one on either PC or any others on my home network. I got Ceton support involved and they were no help (they kept insisting I was having low signal issues), which made no sense since my Comcast internet was running problem free at 100+/mbps. Microsoft was as useless, who said my PCs both had corrupted WMC but claimed they could *fix* my extenders inability to connect to WMC with *advanced tools* only available through paid support.

Both PCs with the same *corrupted* WMC? Of course I said "no thanks" and set about reinstalling Windows 7 on one of the PCs to see if that would fix the problem. That didn't work so I switched to a different PC up[graded the hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7, leaving off reinstalling every other non-Microsoft product and completing ALL the Windows updates. Hooray! Now the extenders would connect! So I did the same for the other PC and again the Echo could connect once more. But the other problems remained despite the clean installs. The only foreign software was Ceton. Maybe it was *low/intermittent signal* after all? So I called in a Comcast technician to check the mpoe signal strength and to test it at the three jacks in use. They sent a tech with 2 years experience who'd never seen a MoCA coax Ethernet network before, much less PC driven CableCard TV setups like mine. Unfortunately I wasn't home for the visit but I told my wife to caution the tech to put the connections back EXACTLY AS HE FOUND THEM! Of course he didn't. Rather than just stopping and telling my wife he wasn't qualified to work on my setup he disconnected everything INSIDE my house at the primary location of the modem and router, and failed to put everything back together correctly. A MoCA network installation can be counter intuitive to an inexperienced tech (or lay person for that matter).

He also went outside to our mpoe to test the signal there and after quite a bit of time going back and forth from the mpoe to the HTPC somehow got that TV to get a LIVE TV channel... sort of... for about 20 mins after he left. He'd claimed the signal was good at the mpoe. He lied. That was also when my wife and kids found every other hard wired computer, gaming or streaming device was disconnected from the internet. My wife called me at work and told me the bad news. And so it was left to me to reconstruct all my connections including those at the mpoe.

The dude had disconnected the splitter that ran inside to a power amplifier he never bothered to look for and also disconnected all the other coax's in our loop and only left the HTPC coax tied directly to the drop wire and then he ran away like his hair was on fire. So after calming down I made another appointment for another EXPERIENCED tech to come out on Saturday morning so I could be present. The guy who came was pretty good I have to say. Knew his job and did exactly what I asked which was to check my signal strength. He found it good in the sidewalk box in the ground across the street and a bit weak by the time it got to the end of the drop at my mpoe on the side of my home. The tech installed a more powerful exterior amplifier in the mpoe. He replaced all the fittings. He then went inside and tested the TV signal at all three jacks even though TV signal was only important at two. He replaced all the coax fittings at the jacks and even tested the signal coming off the end of each jumper. He was awesome and professional. When was done though nothing was changed other than my internet speed got a bit of a bump. The tech had never seen what was happening with my setup when I showed

I was at a loss and spent the next few hours running *sfc /scannow* error checks and every other thing I'd tried before dozens of times and had failed to work. I finally sent off another support ticket to Ceton in defeat expressing that there had to be some commonality that I and they were missing as to why I was having this lunatic issue that had started all at once about three weeks prior. That's when I decided to get rid of that annoying Windows 10 upgrade notification that had also appeared about 3-4 weeks prior. I had to find something to vent my frustration on. So I did a search for how to get rid of the notification as I didn't want to accidentally start an upgrade to an OS not supporting WMC or extenders. I found a few links to pages instructing how to get rid of the notification. It was there I discovered that this thing came from a Windows update KB3035583 that I'd allowed to be downloaded on all my PCs. The link also suggested I both uninstall the update and nuke it from ever reinstalling again in the future. It was a minor satisfaction and victory... at first. But when I went bac to trying to solve my WMC dilemma working on the HTPC after rebooting and running a couple more *sfc /scannow* I started WMC again. Everything worked! No hesitation! No pixelation! Channels changed in Live TV! It was amazing!

That's when it hit me. My trouble started at the same time the Windows 10 upgrade notification showed up! So I went to the other PC and just uninstalled KB3035583 only and rebooted. Nothing else. WMC started up and worked flawlessly there also! I restored all (most) of my 3rd party software too. My conclusion: Kill KB3035583! Burn it with fire! That is all.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:28 pm

^ Very strange

I'm running two HTPCs with the update installed, without issue. The only impedance that it offers is a banner inside of windows update.

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:29 pm

I had major issues with my DVB-T HDHomerun dual tuner which cleared up after removing this KB3035583 update. I also added a DHCP reservation for the HDHomerun at the same time so put this down as the fix. Makes me wonder though, the system is rock solid again. I would class it as malware given it creates schedules tasks for GWX which cannot be deleted without taking ownership and resetting permissions on the tasks in c:\Windows\System32\Tasks. Additionally after hiding it in windows update, KB3035583 and GWX came back a second time which is concerning.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:00 pm

gbwelly wrote:I had major issues with my DVB-T HDHomerun dual tuner which cleared up after removing this KB3035583 update. I also added a DHCP reservation for the HDHomerun at the same time so put this down as the fix. Makes me wonder though, the system is rock solid again. I would class it as malware given it creates schedules tasks for GWX which cannot be deleted without taking ownership and resetting permissions on the tasks in c:\Windows\System32\Tasks. Additionally after hiding it in windows update, KB3035583 and GWX came back a second time which is concerning.
Well, if the notification comes, as long as you don't accept it, it will not upgrade. I would uninstall it and hide it again.

Crap, on my Dedicated HTPC (only use WMC, nothing else besides programs for WMC), I disabled Windows Update completely. Sick of the issues over the years. Don't do this on a machine that you do other things on...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Found this, someone tracked down all the WIndows update SPAMWARE/ADware tracking for WIndows 10 and created a script to remove it all here...

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... om-Win-7-8

Create a CMD file, copy the code below into it, run, It will remove all these SPYWARE/WIndows 10 updates and reboot your computer...

If you want to see what each update does before running the below cmd file, click the link above, he lists them one by one and what they do..

Code: Select all

powershell get-hotfix -id kb2977759,kb2990214,kb2952664,kb3021917,kb3022345,kb3068708,kb3035583,kb3044374,kb2976978,kb3050265,kb3075249,kb3080149
@ECHO off
COLOR 16
ECHO
ECHO Removing Windows 10 Update offers
ECHO ver 08/20/2015
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:2977759 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3050265 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart
ECHO
ECHO Spyware were sucessfully uninstalled!
ECHO ===========================================
ECHO
ECHO Don't forget disable these updates:
ECHO Windows 7:
ECHO KB2977759, KB2990214, KB2952664, KB3021917,
ECHO KB3022345, KB3068708, KB3035583, KB3075249
ECHO and KB3080149
ECHO Windows 8/8.1:
ECHO KB3022345, KB3068708, KB3035583, KB3044374
ECHO KB2976978, KB3075249 and KB3080149 
ECHO
ECHO Press any key to restart.
ECHO
PAUSE
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 10 /c "This system will restart in 10 seconds"
EXIT
Even through I disabled updates, when I setup the machine, I did all updates and a few of them were on my HTPC...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Thankfully having WSUS running in our environment we don't have to go through any of this crap on production systems.

The script is handy though thank you as I have already had to trawl through several friends machines updates to get rid of the annoyance.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:43 am

STC wrote:Thankfully having WSUS running in our environment we don't have to go through any of this crap on production systems.

The script is handy though thank you as I have already had to trawl through several friends machines updates to get rid of the annoyance.
Same here, now I keep this script on my flash drive :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave