What's with all the vitriol?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
steveo_in_sd

HTPC Specs: Show details

What's with all the vitriol?

Post by steveo_in_sd » Tue May 05, 2015 12:59 am

I have been a lurker for many years now, and while there have been some spats in the past I haven't seen here before the level of outright hostility and antagonism that has been present the past week or so. Only passionate people would come to a hobbyist site, so I get that people would want to make sure information is correct, but still even long time commenters are being outright jerks. WTF?

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue May 05, 2015 1:06 am

Haha I have never seen a community (the htpc community as a whole not just tgb) filled with so much hatred it seems. Sometimes it seems like these companies killed your first born. Fortunately, if you haven't been here a while, one of the main instigators is no longer welcome on this website (you can imagine how bad he must have been to finally be banned outright since the site mods seem to put up with a lot), and generally it has become a happier and friendlier place!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 1:08 am

I think people are just emotional that this software they have invested (a lot of, possibly) time/money into will see no further continuation; and are reacting in a knee-jerk fashion/manner to that. Probably more-so if they just 'recently' got in the game and feel 'robbed'. Some probably don't have SD equipment, and therefore feel stuck with what they have and no way forward. Like others have pointed out though - they can 'keep on keeping on' with what they have; for as long as Microsoft provides guide data (however long that might be). Even after that, they can use third party tools to integrate guide data from other sources into WMC on their own. So, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Tue May 05, 2015 5:06 am

RyC wrote:Fortunately, if you haven't been here a while, one of the main instigators is no longer welcome on this website (you can imagine how bad he must have been to finally be banned outright since the site mods seem to put up with a lot), and generally it has become a happier and friendlier place!
I dunno, Barnabas was abrasive sometimes but he often went out of his way to help those with complicated problems.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 am

His abrasiveness tended towards vitriol (which was sometimes edited by the mods) and personally I think it detracted from the forum and outweighed his contributions. Sure there are mean people on the internet, but it's still tiresome and I'm glad he's not here anymore.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue May 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Either I'm reading the wrong threads or you guys have a very low tolerance for internet forum trolling.

I've never seen anything on TGB that rates higher than about a 2 out of 10 on the Internet Aggression Scale.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue May 05, 2015 1:24 pm

LuckyDay wrote:Either I'm reading the wrong threads or you guys have a very low tolerance for internet forum trolling.

I've never seen anything on TGB that rates higher than about a 2 out of 10 on the Internet Aggression Scale.
Unnecessary comments have already been removed from the threads.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue May 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Credit to the moderators for always being on top of these discussions. I have or thought I have seen traces of the old conversations that once spewed these forums before the removal of said user. One can not help to think he is amongst us!

And why haven't we heard from Ceton on here? Isn't this site a Ceton sponsored or affiliated site? After all a lot of us help out when Ceton questions arise. We help them a good amount I would think. Especially when the web site directs questions and help to this site! They must have something really good cooking to be this silent this long.

P.S. the word 'Ceton' should be added to the dictionary. I get red squiggles.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 05, 2015 5:51 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:And why haven't we heard from Ceton on here? Isn't this site a Ceton sponsored or affiliated site? After all a lot of us help out when Ceton questions arise. We help them a good amount I would think. Especially when the web site directs questions and help to this site! They must have something really good cooking to be this silent this long.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 337#p89337