Silicondust DVR Kickstarter

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ed  » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:37 pm

Embiggens wrote:/PICTUREGUIDE
Here, for you <3 . You're welcome :D

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Oh look, some smarter man than I (and all of us up till now) went and just made a poll. Results are pretty much as I expected and have been saying. :clap:

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 96&t=23277

blauter78

Post by blauter78 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Ed  wrote:Oh look, some smarter man than I (and all of us up till now) went and just made a poll. Results are pretty much as I expected.

Oh look, there are 7 SD employees!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:49 pm

blauter78 wrote:
Ed  wrote:Oh look, some smarter man than I (and all of us up till now) went and just made a poll. Results are pretty much as I expected.

Oh look, there are 7 SD employees!
Nah, there's also some 'men from the back of the ship' that I referenced on the last page in there too! Maybe all of them. I don't know I don't go back there, so I can't say how many (few?) there are.

bobitha

Post by bobitha » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Good Morning THE GREEN BUTTON! I had said goodnight but it must have been too off topic :D So someone when and made a Poll and shockingly the results are not at all different than i had imagined. SHOCKER!! SD promised TV "your" meaning MY way and Thus far this dvr is not headed in a direction to be MY WAY. Lets keep an eye on this and see what transpires shall we.

GIJOE4LIFE

Post by GIJOE4LIFE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:33 pm

blauter78 wrote:
GIJOE4LIFE wrote:Now to DVR kickstarter, nothing against those who like it but I am tired of kodi, hoping we'll see another client to test soon. For drm it's useless anyway. There have been improvements in the recording engine and the one kodi client I,m using did update itself recently. Progress is being made, not fast enough for some but progress is being made. Hoping the next build post soon.
Agreed. The reason I backed this project was to do away with Kodi. I want an android TV box at every TV in my house that can quickly go between live TV/DVR, Netflix, Hulu, local media (currently through Emby), etc. I don't want to launch kodi just to watch tv. If I wanted that, I would just use one of the many existing DVR backends that are miles ahead of this.

I already had a Amlogic android box and a Fire tv before the kickstarter project, waiting on DRM capable clients before getting any more box's. I want to see how powerful the box has to be and don't want to be stuck with box's that cannot handle the overhead. I'm also testing out Emby for my local media and so far finding it pretty good.
If I know it all, there is no reason to think and if I think, I don't need know it all
The Way it should Be

warpster

Post by warpster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Boy the vitriol in the thread is overwhelming....

My opinion on the whole GRID thing is:

First I agree there MAY be a better way to display, choose, find etc the programming but that is not proven yet and especially not by what SD has done so far.

Second I am a $60 contributor and the sinking boat analogy is spot on

Third it baffles me why SD would choose this course to begin the project.
They seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time on the guide instead of working on say DRM or a real client to use.
A grid style guide would have been much easier to start with and also something everyone is familiar with, remember the distaste the public had with the Windows 8 start menu. Where are the lessons learned?
As many have said they should have modeled the DVR on WMC in its basics. KISS comes to mind, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Why not start simple and add later after the basics are working.
SD seems to be getting carried away with their CREATIVITY when they should be concentrating on FUNCTIONALITY.

I for one have Time Warner and they mark almost everything as Copy-once, so this DVR project is next to worthless for me at this time. Soon the new season will start along with a bunch of FOOTBALL (yea!) and the current system is useless for sports, hell you can't even tell it what channel to record. Had they taken the basic to start approach the DVR could be useful during the upcoming season as opposed to well...forgotten. And then they could take their time adding all the bells and whistles they desire....just poor planning it seems. I like SD and have had their tuners since the beginning but this project is getting annoying quickly. Hopefully they will listen and at least attempt to right the ship!

That's all I got....

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:04 pm

warpster wrote:Boy the vitriol in the thread is overwhelming....

My opinion on the whole GRID thing is:

First I agree there MAY be a better way to display, choose, find etc the programming but that is not proven yet and especially not by what SD has done so far.

Second I am a $60 contributor and the sinking boat analogy is spot on

Third it baffles me why SD would choose this course to begin the project.
They seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time on the guide instead of working on say DRM or a real client to use.
A grid style guide would have been much easier to start with and also something everyone is familiar with, remember the distaste the public had with the Windows 8 start menu. Where are the lessons learned?
As many have said they should have modeled the DVR on WMC in its basics. KISS comes to mind, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Why not start simple and add later after the basics are working.
SD seems to be getting carried away with their CREATIVITY when they should be concentrating on FUNCTIONALITY.

I for one have Time Warner and they mark almost everything as Copy-once, so this DVR project is next to worthless for me at this time. Soon the new season will start along with a bunch of FOOTBALL (yea!) and the current system is useless for sports, heck you can't even tell it what channel to record. Had they taken the basic to start approach the DVR could be useful during the upcoming season as opposed to well...forgotten. And then they could take their time adding all the bells and whistles they desire....just poor planning it seems. I like SD and have had their tuners since the beginning but this project is getting annoying quickly. Hopefully they will listen and at least attempt to right the ship!

That's all I got....

Don't forget to vote in the poll I linked; so that it can be looked at and then completely ignored by SD! :)

GIJOE4LIFE

Post by GIJOE4LIFE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:18 pm

warpster wrote:

I for one have Time Warner and they mark almost everything as Copy-once, so this DVR project is next to worthless for me at this time. Soon the new season will start along with a bunch of FOOTBALL (yea!) and the current system is useless for sports, heck you can't even tell it what channel to record. Had they taken the basic to start approach the DVR could be useful during the upcoming season as opposed to well...forgotten. And then they could take their time adding all the bells and whistles they desire....just poor planning it seems. I like SD and have had their tuners since the beginning but this project is getting annoying quickly. Hopefully they will listen and at least attempt to right the ship!
warpster, you say you have TWC i do too and starting this year in my area the only program that I record that don't display copy once in WMC is Extant. Are you finding whole channels not copy once or just individual programs?
If I know it all, there is no reason to think and if I think, I don't need know it all
The Way it should Be

bobitha

Post by bobitha » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:34 pm

@warpster Good points well said. As i have said from the beginning, and as you have just said. SD should have put basic function first aond foremost in this project, creative new gadgets/interfaces should have been an afterthought especially if you have any hope of bringing the masses on board. I say masses because there is currently a poll on the SD forums and right now 92% say yes to Grid EPG.

As i put in a previous post so far the "DVR Your WAY" is total BS and its not our way it is the way somebody at SD thinks it should be for their uses only forget what the general public/customers/clients want.

SD has forgotten WE THE CUSTOMERS ARE YOUR BOSS! Without us you dont make a dime you dont have a job or a business to run. While 1 voice might not be so loud what do you do when the majority of your "bosses" tell you to do it one way and you dont listen.... Your going to get fired SD plain and simple....Consider this your Written warning!

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:25 pm

I think this thread successfully informed people of an alternative to WMC, i.e. the SiliconDust DVR. I also think this thread is no longer contributing to the WMC knowledge base. Any discussions about the grid guide or lack thereof should happen on the SiliconDust forums. This thread should be either closed, or split and put in the Lounge.

Bickering about another software's interface does not belong in the News and Announcements section.