Cord cutters - sources?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Bryan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cord cutters - sources?

Post by Bryan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:09 am

We cut the cord yesterday. I have an antenna setup, and we have Netflix. I'm wondering what others are using for video sources, however. Are you using Amazon, Hulu, or something else? I'm not interested in torrents or anything else remotely illegal, and for a handful of shows, I'll buy season passes. Just curious what others do, especially if it's something I can use on an Xbox, since those are my extenders.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:31 am

Netflix, Crackle, Hulu, Youtube.

I also cheat by having a friend's Time Warner login for HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and other cable channel apps. You will be able to get HBO Go and Showtime anytime without cable though soon. Also there's the new Sling TV service.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:36 pm

I didn't find Hulu worth the $. It really depends on your channel / sitcom choices. If there are shows you have to watch, you'll have to skim through the sources to find which one provides the shows you want. For the short time we cut, I found Netflix, Amazon, youtube, crackle, and redbox to fit the need. We don't watch most of the shows Hulu provided, but if we did, I would think that'd be the best answer.

If you do order from Amazon, I've found that to be the best option. It's more than paid for itself with the shipping. And the ability to buy sharkweek, while we did not have cable, really made the kids happy. I found Amazon doesn't provide many different options (for free) over netflix. So, if you have Netflix and don't plan to buy shows from Amazon, don't bother.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Yeah, I looked at Hulu, but it didn't have anything I needed I wasn't getting over the air, so I skipped it. We've been doing okay with the antenna, Netflix, and buying episodes from Amazon, though I've been trying to avoid too much of that. I have Crackle installed on my Xbox but haven't really looked at it, I'll have to try it out sometime.