Going to Tivo - What should I do with my HTPC?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
dellybelly

HTPC Specs: Show details

Going to Tivo - What should I do with my HTPC?

Post by dellybelly » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:10 pm

OK, so I feel like a quitter; but I and (The Wife®) couldn't take the guide issues that have seemed to be constant for us along with some other random niggles that have plagued WMC forever. My question is; what can I do with my old box? Is there any interesting use cases for WMC if not being used directly for TV? I have plex which satisfies most of my streaming/local media; but I'd love to do something with the old box so it doesn't end it's life in my basement of systems past.

It was a great ride though; and i still love the forum.

Edit: Can probably delete this; didn't realize there was a TIVO thread right UNDER mine :)

LuckyDay

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Well, you could sell or donate the parts on these boards if it comes to just throwing it in the basement.

You can create a Steam box for gaming or use it to create a MAME arcade setup (I have a couple of these). Put it in a garage/basement for watching netflix/WMC (still an HTPC I guess).

In almost all cities there are centers that take PC donations to help out the needy and students who don't have access to computers at home. Look around and you can find a good use for it in that regard.