Thoughts on Windows 8 upgrade license-only Ebay sellers?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
cncb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Thoughts on Windows 8 upgrade license-only Ebay sellers?

Post by cncb » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I see people on Ebay selling Windows 8 Pro upgrades for a reasonable amount but they just email you a license key code and there is no physical "product key card". I am considering purchasing but just wonder how these were originally obtained? It seems like Microsoft would shut them down if it wasn't legit but does anyone have any insight/thoughts on this? Thanks.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:31 pm

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

The key you get might never work. It might work for a while (potentially years) and then "go bad". It might work forever, or at least as long as you want it to. You won't know until it happens.

Caveat emptor applies here.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

evilgoat

Post by evilgoat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:38 pm

These are probobly Refurbisher Licences. There are two types, 'standar' ones which we use on refurbished PCs, means we pay about £30 for Win7 Pro, or Citizenship, which you have to prove to MS the buyer meets certain requrements, not that we think they check too hard.

These licences are watched though and they do keep track of them and look on Ebay for people doing just this. I know there have been at least three done in Hants in the last few months. I dont know if they nail counterfeit licences when they do get a dodgey seller but the ability to do so is there and does work.

If you have no COA legally you have no recourse with MS, they will just shrug and say tough. You may also have issues reactivating should you make any changes.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:40 pm

I've got a spare licence you can buy and a wmc key.. It was used but I have split the pc it was on and sold for parts. I have activated keys on a different PC before without issue, I guess someone posting a fair bit in a forum doesn't really make them trustworthy though does it??
I'd take £40 for it which truthfully is about what I paid as I got the pro pack at launch but they messed up one of my WMC free keys and I had to buy one.
I was hanging onto it to build a NUC but i'm pretty happy with the rokus tbh...
pm me if you're interested.
Lee

STC

Post by STC » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:05 am

^ Is this an OEM licence / license?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:24 pm

STC wrote:^ Is this an OEM licence / license?
no it was an upgrade key when they released it on offer (think it was £25)
like I said I bought 3 or 4 as they were so cheap, sold a couple of PC's to friends then one for parts so had a key left...
Lee

Jim5055

Post by Jim5055 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Careful, they will be 30 day licences . . . developer licences . .

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Keep in mind that if you upgrade from XP to 8, you will not be eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10. XP doesn't get the free upgrade, and a computer upgraded from XP also doesn't get the free upgrade. Yeah, I know this is a WMC community but some people have other, non-HTPC computers they will want to upgrade.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:27 am

^ that sounds crazy!

Surely if you've paid for win8 (upgrade or otherwise) then you should qualify for win10?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:37 pm

mike_ekim wrote:Keep in mind that if you upgrade from XP to 8, you will not be eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10. XP doesn't get the free upgrade, and a computer upgraded from XP also doesn't get the free upgrade. Yeah, I know this is a WMC community but some people have other, non-HTPC computers they will want to upgrade.
Yeah, what? It's the Win 8 licence you upgrade to, that becomes eligible for the Win 10 upgrade - and is all that is needed/of concern. Not the XP licence from beforehand. If you upgrade from XP to 8, you'll still get 10 free.

You even get to reserve 10 during the install of 8 now :D

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-n ... up-process