Leaving WMC for DirecTV

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
QingGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Leaving WMC for DirecTV

Post by QingGuy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42 pm

After fighting with Cox to get my WMC to work properly with their new tuning adapters I give-up. Was in Costco the other night, talked to the gal from Direct TV and they're now here installing. Just got tired of the hassle, tired of wife and kids bitching at me because stations wouldn't work or programs didn't record because the guide is wrong NO MAS!!!!

Maybe I'll try again when my 24 mo. contract runs out, hopefully by then there are more options for cutting the cable too, a lot can happen in 2 years. Also free NFL Sunday Ticket sealed the deal for me. Cox NFL coverage blows and there are currently no good streaming options for the PC market for the NFL (understand there is for AIR Play).

Leaving my HTPC connected for streaming Netflix, Amazon and surfing but other than that I'm retiring my Ceton4. Is there a market for used Tuner cards?

Adiós, muchachos, it's been a cool ride . . .

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:28 am

I've always thought that when I'm ready to dump MC, I'd go to DirecTV. Their new OS and the Genie with RVU is killer.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:33 am

I had DirecTV for years and loved it. If TV was worth an additional $70/month to me I'd still have them.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:10 am

yeah, it's that huge cost. If I'm going to pay that much more, I'll simply change wired TV providers. I have two alternates to choose from. It'll be a long time before I go satellite.

I don't care about sports, btw. And frankly, that right there will get me to cut the cord more quickly than not. I know a solid $25 or more of my monthly bill does nothing but feed the sports pig; let them do without my contribution. "Shana, they bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash."

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:24 am

QingGuy wrote:Adiós, muchachos, it's been a cool ride . . .
bumpy ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Ya know-- I've thought about leaving WMC probably at least once or twice every 6 months for the past 6 years. The sad truth is, I have a lot of TVs, a lot of tuners, and a good size family (4 kids, wife, and a dog who loves Animal Planet).
EVERY time I get the urge to jump to "da hoppah" or DirecTV Genie (with their new fancy wireless everything)-- reality comes smacking me right in the face.

Forgetting all the other features a WMC/Extender setup bring... at the end of the day the primary use is 10 HD Tuners, one guide, one recorded tv drive, protected content, all available everywhere. The only thing that comes even REMOTELY close to being able to do that is DirecTV and by the time you put in all the monthly costs for the genie extenders (4 + main unit), the monthly cost is just crazy high and I don't get close to the channels I have with Charter-- as crappy a company as they are.

So as much as I get tired of the WMC gui stacked against the latest shiney gui from the dish/directv dvrs offer... I think I'll be sticking with this 'ol rust bucket setup I have until the wheels fall off (or MS finally stops providing guide data to WMC).
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:12 pm

It's like being married 20 years, isn't it?

"Yeah, I could, but what I got is so much easier..."

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 pm

adam1991 wrote:It's like being married 20 years, isn't it?

"Yeah, I could, but what I got is so much easier..."
:lol: :lol:
Ahahahaha. Boy don't you know it. Funny thing is my wife & I will be celebrating our 14th anniversary tomorrow. LOL
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:15 pm

What keeps me in the WMC game are features that still aren't available with any other system.

1. Commercial Skipping - This is HUGE for us! I shudder at the day when/if copy protection comes to my cable network.
2. Guide Customization - Condensed to what I pay for. I also eliminate all redundant non-HD channels because too often we would record something in SD, which is disappointing when you know you could have recorded it in HD. This may be available in some cable equipment but I doubt its as flexible as to what we have.
3. Streaming - Though not unique to WMC, I can stream my content anywhere in the WORLD! Wherever we go it adds that feeling of home!
4. Storage - I determine my capacity! Nuff said!
5. Cost - To get an Xfinity/Hopper setup your talking a huge increase in dollar per month! Most my friends pay in excess of $200 per month for all the bells and whistles. Nuff said!
6. Tinker Factor - Love it! Nuff said!
7. Napoleon factor - I'm in CONTROL! Nuff said!

I will be in that group of people that leave WMC when the lights go off! Where is my guide data?!

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:23 pm

koberhol wrote:What keeps me in the WMC game are features that still aren't available with any other system.

1. Commercial Skipping - This is HUGE for us! I shudder at the day when/if copy protection comes to my cable network.
2. Guide Customization - Condensed to what I pay for. I also eliminate all redundant non-HD channels because too often we would record something in SD, which is disappointing when you know you could have recorded it in HD. This may be available in some cable equipment but I doubt its as flexible as to what we have.
3. Streaming - Though not unique to WMC, I can stream my content anywhere in the WORLD! Wherever we go it adds that feeling of home!
5. Cost - To get an Xfinity/Hopper setup your talking a huge increase in dollar per month! Most my friends pay in excess of $200 per month for all the bells and whistles. Nuff said!

I will be in that group of people that leave WMC when the lights go off! Where is my guide data?!
What is your commerical skipping setup? Im interested in doing it but overwhemled with some of the setup i've seen.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 am

koberhol wrote:What keeps me in the WMC game are features that still aren't available with any other system.

I'm with you, with all my cost already sunk and paid for I have no urge or desire to move off my WMC system. Until I move to a location where the provider does not support it in any shape or form or until they finally put CableCard to pasture and there is no other way of using WMC I am sticking to it (barring some miracle system coming out that justifies the high dollar cost differential...)