TV DVR: The big killer feature missing from Xbox One

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Dragonfly

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV DVR: The big killer feature missing from Xbox One

Post by Dragonfly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

http://betanews.com/2014/04/09/tv-dvr-t ... -xbox-one/

Comments eventually devolve into the usual XBone vs PS4 prattle, but it's an interesting read.

Nothing will come of it, of course.

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:23 pm

The guy is speaking as if Windows Media Center never existed... the fly in this guy's proverbial soup is that MS *did* have a cablecard solution, and decided to abandon it in the latest XBox. They are going in the exact opposite direction that this author wants. I agree, I may have purchased an Xbox 1 if it was able to function as a standalone DVR, but unfortunately, I don't think that's ever going to happen.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm reminded of a Microsoft presentation that was leaked online back in the summer of 2012. At that point, they actually *did* have plans to create a "whole home dvr" experience.
xbox720.png
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:37 pm

The solution isn't that far fetched if only Microsoft would take the steps. Its already based on x86 architecture and the making universal windows apps available on the x1. Its already been suggested they make use of devices like the HD homerun or infiniTV 6 ETH. The only real issue would be extenders and PlayStation has the idea already that would work. A small device used to stream content from the main console including games. A whole console extender. But I can only dream.

mrphil

Post by mrphil » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:36 pm

The Microsoft position on this is weird, they talked as if what they are doing now is amazing and new, yet just 3 years ago there were keynote sessions showing off WMC with cable card support, the proper way of doing it. It can only be either internal politics or poor code/documentation that prevents the WMC codebase being used today in Xbone.

I'm not even in the target market for Xbone, yet if they built a whole home gaming/dvr with extender model I'd buy straight into that.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Microsoft's position for many years has been that physical media (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc) and broadcast/cable/satellite TV are going away forever. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to make the XBox One into a cable DVR.