They just ruined zap2it

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

They just ruined zap2it

Post by Space » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I can't believe what they have done to zap2it.com.

I can't do anything I used to do on the site anymore.

I can't get a list of all the upcoming airings of a particular series (it seems to be limited to just the next two airings?).

It also doesn't list your local cable channel number along with the airing network.

For instance if you enter "Friends", it lists two airings on TBS today, that's it. It no longer lists the HD channel or the SD channel numbers, etc.

It looks like they tried to make it "touchscreen friendly", with most of the useful information replaced by big useless pictures.

I sure hope there is still a way to get the old functionality, because the current site is useless to me.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Wow, quite different...
I had to re-enter my post code and my lineup appeared correctly.
I'm yet to play around.

On a side note the logos are bigger I wonder if they are usable for MCL now with minimal fuss?
I have lots missing here in Canada.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

diane*d

Post by diane*d » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Yup. Ruined. Destroyed. Sold out to the programming "gods" who only get paid when they program.
(In case you ever wondered why sites get overhauled and ruined all the time.)
Check out http://www.titantv.com. Has all the good stuff - 6 hour grid, personal lineups... lots of great choices in preferences. Took me all of 5 minutes to register and fix it the way I wanted it.
No, I don't work for Titan. I just got disgusted by Zap2it ruining my listings. Again.
So I'll take my nice disposable income and look at Titan's ads instead of Zap who didn't care what we wanted.
Happy viewing. :wave:

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:01 pm

It is terrible. While I get the channel numbers after entering my provider, I see no way to reorder channels. The grid loads dynamically, and it takes a long time to skip through the hundreds of lower channels on the way to the one thousands. It is no longer possible to look back in time, which the old version supported for at least the previous 12 hours. Will check out titantv.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, for now it looks like you can get the old format back by using Yahoo! TV, but not sure how long that will last.

I hope they fix zap2it because I would like to see TMS data (as opposed to the other data sources used by titantv.com and tvguide.com) so I can match it with my WMC machine. I suppose if Yahoo! TV keeps the old format (it is powered by zap2it and TMS data) it will be OK, but I doubt it will stay that way.
Last edited by Space on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anothertv

Post by anothertv » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:58 pm

The old site is still available at http://tvschedule.zap2it.com ( which is yahoo version of the zap2it schedule guide - almost the same as the main site and I don't think it will go away since it looks like yahoo is paying for it)

With Tribune Digital Ventures taking over TMS ( owners of zap2it) it was just a matter of time:

http://allthingsd.com/20130521/former-y ... ures-unit/

The old zap2it team was let go , the site is now run by a team outside of US .

Who knows if for better or for worse ... but I don't think the old zap2it is coming back anytime soon ...

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 pm

^ I await a higher percentage of bad guide data with eager aplomb!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:12 pm

We can always complain I guess. Maybe if the get enough complaints, they'll change.
feedback@zap2it.com

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 pm

anothertv wrote:The old site is still available at http://tvschedule.zap2it.com ( which is yahoo version of the zap2it schedule guide - almost the same as the main site and I don't think it will go away since it looks like yahoo is paying for it)

With Tribune Digital Ventures taking over TMS ( owners of zap2it) it was just a matter of time:

http://allthingsd.com/20130521/former-y ... ures-unit/

The old zap2it team was let go , the site is now run by a team outside of US .

Who knows if for better or for worse ... but I don't think the old zap2it is coming back anytime soon ...
"Shashi Seth". Say that five times fast!

Whiznot

Post by Whiznot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:19 pm

The untimely murder of Zap2it tool me by surprise. I mourned for five minutes before deleting the bookmark. A quick search discovered TitanTV so I set that up like I wanted but wasn't completely happy. I finally decided to visit The Green Button to complain and, thanks to people here, I discovered the Yahoo Zap2it clone. Again, thanks you.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:25 pm

I actually got a response back from zap2it that said they're planning to roll out more of the old features soon, like fav lists.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:01 pm

mdavej wrote:I actually got a response back from zap2it that said they're planning to roll out more of the old features soon, like fav lists.
That's nice of them, always love being a surprise alpha tester.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Can someone explain why you would use the zap2it web guide in the first place? I just don't see a reason to browse the guide outside of media center? Or MMC as I only browse the guide looking for things to watch live or record.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:31 pm

^ When I'm out and about I use it sometimes.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:58 pm

volfan6415 wrote:Can someone explain why you would use the zap2it web guide in the first place? I just don't see a reason to browse the guide outside of media center? Or MMC as I only browse the guide looking for things to watch live or record.
I use it for a few things:
  • The guide listings on zap2it are more up to date than the listings in WMC. Updates that happen in zap2it usually are reflected in WMC within a couple days (although this is not always the case). This allows me to more easily monitor individual discrepancies to make sure they are updated in WMC, or if not, to make a manual change at the last minute to make sure WMC will record a particular show.
  • Zap2it shows 14 days of listings, WMC normally only shows about 12. This lets me see a couple days further in to the future to find possible re-airings of movies or episodes if I have conflicts and need to figure out a solution.
  • You can see all upcoming airings of a particular series in a better format than is available on WMC, it lets you easily see episode title, new/repeat status, OAD, as well as season/episode number (not available on WMC) all on one screen. This is great for verifying that WMC is recording past season shows correctly (for instance if you only started recording a series after the first season, you can more easily verify that it is recording re-airings of that first season, as well as airings of the new season.) as well as more easily see if a new episode is incorrectly marked as a repeat.
  • I can verify listings on my laptop without having to turn on my TV or wake my WMC box.
I use zap2it in conjunction with other resources, such as futoncritic.com (for listing upcoming premieres and specials) and next-episode.com (for tracking episodes I have seen/no yet seen, yes, I know there are WMC add-ons to do this for you, but I don't like messing with my WMC machine) to more easily manage recording what I want.

I admit that these things are probably not something the average person would care that much about, but I record a lot of TV, so it definitely helps me with managing that.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Zap2It apparently has redesigned their website, I wish I could see it, it is only loading east coast default and not formatting the screen properly. They must be flooded with email since they are only sending out "how great it will be" replies. Right now they aren't accepting new registrations and say they are migrating existing users to the new webpage. I haven't been able to view it since last Thursday (April 3).

Any have success seeing the new web page and what is your location? Are they rolling out east to west maybe? I'm in California and last name starts with W so I'm used to sitting in the back of the classroom but would love to know if they have any of it working.

John

STC

Post by STC » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:44 pm

^ Did you enter your zip again?
My old link stopped working correctly and I had to tell it where I live again.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:19 am

STC wrote:^ Did you enter your zip again?
My old link stopped working correctly and I had to tell it where I live again.
Nothing works for me on IE 11. I go back to the main page to enter my username and password and it takes it (and should therefore know where I live, etc). But I can't get any response from the change location link on the schedule page and it's not formatted correctly.....

But you can see a schedule?

I like to keep the zap2it guide available since somethings the MC guide marks shows as repeats that are new and the zap2it guide has been correct where MC has been wrong. Also the zap2it guide is revised more often than the MC guide and program changes will show there days before they get into the MC guide.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 am

Yes I see the schedule with correct formatting. Firefox here.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 am

I found the problem with IE 11. Under compatibility I had checked use "Microsoft List" and I guess that had the old zap2it on it. As soon as I unchecked that the page formatted correctly and I could log in and go to my schedule. It does take longer to load (much longer) since they spaced everything out so much with all the extra large icons, etc. The old schedule was just easier to scroll through.