Cleaning out old stuff... oh the treasures!

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cleaning out old stuff... oh the treasures!

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:50 am

So, I'm cleaning out old stuff and selling some stuff, and tossing other stuff. I just happened upon an old car stereo. I don't remember why I saved it. I think I bought it in 1998. It was the top of the line back then. It's a three-component system.

The head unit is a Clarion ARX7470 cassette deck (direct-drive, if I remember correctly). The equalizer module (can be hidden under the dash or seat, and controlled from the head unit) is an EQH5100. If memory serves, it's a 9-band parametric EQ. The 12-disc CD changer is a CDC1235. I have all the data/interconnect cables!

They worked when I stored them, back when I upgraded to a newer system which played MP3's on DVD (one single-layer DVD held more music than 75 CD's).

I searched around, and I can't find anyone selling such a thing. I wonder if it's worth anything these days. I remember (not too long ago) helping someone who bought a used car which had the head unit and EQ pre-installed... he needed some help on how to program the thing, and I just happened to have a copy of the manual. I forgot that I had the real McCoy!

I'm thinking that I saved it to install in the garage with a 12V power supply and some speakers so I could have some tunes in the garage.

What do you guys think? Worth anything, or toss it? I could hook it up and test it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 am

P.S. The wife says that I should save it for another 10 years. I thought she was joking at first, but she said that she thinks I could sell it to a museum in 10 years!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:54 am

Oh... and not too long ago, I sold an old RCA dual-cassette recorder on e-bay... and got decent money for it!

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 am

You're talking to yourself again ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:32 am

Psychologists say that it's OK to talk to yourself, as long as you don't reply. Oh... I did! :oops:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:49 am

Awwww... I plugged all the components together, and powered it up. The display lights up, and it actually loads CD's! I put a CD in each of the two 6-disc magazines, and it actually went through the POST! It tried to load a CD from each slot, and the head unit displays the time (starting at 1:00 AM).

Unfortunately, when I pressed the Func/Power button... it's stuck! It must have been dropped at some point, because the button is stuck pressed in. I almost lost my UB40 (Labour of Love) and Petra (Means Rock!) CD's! God forbid!

Well, enough time wasted... another one for the trash bin. Too bad... I could use some tunes in the garage, and it would have been cool to load up all my old CD's. This head unit has the very unique feature which allows its internal power amplifier to be used as a pass-thru for the external equalizer... or, the EQ can be fed into an external amp, which was how I used it in my old 1998 Dodge Stratus... with three amplifiers which totalled 2000 watts! No wonder I have constant ringing in my ears. Many years ago, I actually shattered the windshield in one of my vehicles because the stereo was too loud. What?!?!?

BTW... @STC, et al.: This is the ONLY forum where I regularly participate. There are a couple of others where I participate occasionally... but I very rarely post in them. Maybe if I spread it around more, I wouldn't be such an annoyance to some people here (nor a help to others). To be honest, before I found the old TGB community, I thought that posting in forums was a waste of time. You people are the best (and only) group of people who made me feel like my contributions matter. There are lots of great people here, and often I learn something new. Yes, sometimes, I'm quite eccentric... and other times, I'm downright offensive! I'm always honest... but (and maybe you, STC, haven't figured this out) sometimes I'm intentionally pushing your buttons. I don't always believe/feel the beliefs/feelings that my posts portray... sometimes I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Sometimes, I'm just messing with you.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:03 pm

All good ;)

I'm not around very much anymore anyway. Too busy with newborn :crazy:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:21 pm

STC wrote:All good ;)

Me too real fun right. Get them one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ7 ... d_i=507846

Reviews are horrible but it can be had for under $35 bucks with the coupon and they can be logged into 'parent mode' and google play can load and you can watch TGB.tv on it while the kid slings it around the house. Look for new posts! :) Congrats on the baby...

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:55 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Awwww... I plugged all the components together, and powered it up. The display lights up, and it actually loads CD's! I put a CD in each of the two 6-disc magazines, and it actually went through the POST! It tried to load a CD from each slot, and the head unit displays the time (starting at 1:00 AM).

Unfortunately, when I pressed the Func/Power button... it's stuck! It must have been dropped at some point, because the button is stuck pressed in. I almost lost my UB40 (Labour of Love) and Petra (Means Rock!) CD's! God forbid!

Well, enough time wasted... another one for the trash bin. Too bad... I could use some tunes in the garage, and it would have been cool to load up all my old CD's. This head unit has the very unique feature which allows its internal power amplifier to be used as a pass-thru for the external equalizer... or, the EQ can be fed into an external amp, which was how I used it in my old 1998 Dodge Stratus... with three amplifiers which totalled 2000 watts! No wonder I have constant ringing in my ears. Many years ago, I actually shattered the windshield in one of my vehicles because the stereo was too loud. What?!?!?

BTW... @STC, et al.: This is the ONLY forum where I regularly participate. There are a couple of others where I participate occasionally... but I very rarely post in them. Maybe if I spread it around more, I wouldn't be such an annoyance to some people here (nor a help to others). To be honest, before I found the old TGB community, I thought that posting in forums was a waste of time. You people are the best (and only) group of people who made me feel like my contributions matter. There are lots of great people here, and often I learn something new. Yes, sometimes, I'm quite eccentric... and other times, I'm downright offensive! I'm always honest... but (and maybe you, STC, haven't figured this out) sometimes I'm intentionally pushing your buttons. I don't always believe/feel the beliefs/feelings that my posts portray... sometimes I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Sometimes, I'm just messing with you.
Sarcasm here?
I don't believe it!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:12 am

Congrats on the new baby. I didn't know. Little ones are lots of fun... until they get old enough to have their own opinions!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:33 am

Dkeyguy1 wrote:Sarcasm here?
I don't believe it!
Sarcasm? Which part?

Losing my UB40 and Petra CD's? Well... yeah... there was some sarcasm there. I like both CD's. Petra is actually a rockin' band (and so is Stryper)... even though they are a Christian rock band (not that there's anything wrong with that... I actually used to be on the board of directors in my church... believe it or not). I've met the members of Petra through some mutual friends (as well as the members of several other Christian bands... Amy Grant is actually a really nice lady, and I was seriously disappointed with the Southern Baptist Convention when they gave her problems about doing secular music back in the 90's)... but I can live without the CD's. Yeah... all true... but I'm such a sinner now! :lol:

Only forum where I regularly read/contribute? That's true... no sarcasm there.

Shattered windshield and constant ringing in my ears? No joke there. I definitely shattered a windshield once. I was playing "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles... it just happened to hit the resonant frequency of the windshield at about 120dB at the same time I smacked a mosquito on the glass. The whole damn windshield shattered. The ringing in my ears is loud enough to really bother me when everything is quiet.

Messing with people? Yeah, it's fun. Sorry if you didn't understand. Don't always take me seriously.

Lots of good people here? All true.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 am

Congrats STC! We just had our first and I suddenly find myself with more time for tgb.tv at odd hours when mine can't sleep.

Barnabas .... Keep posting here and talking to yourself. I don't post very often but I typically read most of your posts anyways.

I second the sentiments about this being a great community. I've tried other places and they just don't feel as family like as it does round these parts. :-)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:00 am

volfan6415 wrote:I second the sentiments about this being a great community. I've tried other places and they just don't feel as family like as it does round these parts. :-)
Yep... even if it is dysfunctional. :lol: Just kidding!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Agreed we are all an eclectic bunch for sure, but that's why I post here. There are a lot of very intelligent people here and I can always get good advice and help. I don't post as much as I used to, but I do still come here and read a lot of peoples posts and try and help when I can.. :)

STC.. Congrats on the baby man! Agree with Barnabas though.. They are great fun until they learn to talk back..lol miss my kids being little..they grow up too fast!

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:07 pm

I am the birth child of the Ceton debacle. I made my account to illustrate that I was invested fairly deep in their company. Little good it did, and what was born was me, an obnoxious (at times) cyber junky. But I have learned to tone it down. Mostly thanks to the moderators here who deleted half my posts :) So if you do not like me thank Ceton. I too only post here.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Did anyone take advantage of that kid tablet I posted above? The VINCI. I got mine this weekend and was only expecting to have my 1yr old run around with it while his older brother played on his IPad. Well to my surprise it is a wonderful device. We got about 2hrs a charge out of it and that is while the boy watched movies on it that are preloaded. Nursery rhymes etc.. But when you go into the 'parent mode' you can watch YouTube without issue is very nice quality. It has the older android on it so I could not load any real games onto it from the google play store. I installed the amazon store but did not see if the restrictions differed. But all in all if you want something to check email, watch YouTube and be child proof this thing is great. Under $35!

I would call it a 'treasure' -- making this post valid for this topic :)