WMC extender + Google TV setup

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
3rob3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Yeah, I agree having the apps was nice and the whole Xbox gold thing is a total ripoff when you don't game. If I had the google tv hooked up with an Xbox I might have stuck with it. The real dealbreaker for me was my media center crashing or losing audio because of the hdmi passthru. My Xbox extender is in the bedroom which has a Vizio smart tv so I didn't need it in there.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Another downside I've recently found is that Google has a limit on what apps you can install on the google TV. So I've found some sites which talk about sideloading apps for GTV
Last edited by BCloud on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, I tried sideloading when I had mine. It didn't work so well, at least with the one I tried. It error'd saying it does not support portrait mode which is odd since 16:9 is landscape. My guess is the app I tried (MyDlink ip camera viewing app) launches is portrait first before it can switch to landscape.

CharlesLam

Post by CharlesLam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:19 pm

so you are telling me, all i need to do is plug the google tv box, directly into my wmc computer and i should be able to get all my tv tuning? this setup is super confusing as no one is explaining HOW they set it up. im assuming when people say "Media Center" that they either mean a computer OR the vizio appliance. im moving to google fiber next month and im seriously debating if i should stay with TWC because Google doesnt support my tv tuner, and google's tech support is the biggest joke on the planet. i thought comcast was bad, google tech support pissed me off bad not listening and not having any applicable knowledge over tv tuners.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:28 pm

No, this is all for/pertaining to Google TV, a (now depreciated) app platform/box - nothing to do with Google Fiber - which is Google's cable TV service - and what you were thinking of.

Google Fiber is all IP based TV - it doesn't use CableCards and won't work with Windows Media Center/any PC tuners at all. If you want to stick with PC tuners/PC DVR software you'll have to stick with TWC.