WMC extender + Google TV setup

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC extender + Google TV setup

Post by staknhalo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:19 am

Over on the WMC G+ community , someone posted a video of his setup using an Echo extender (could be any other extender though) hooked into a Vizio Co-Star (Google TV device). I thought the end result was pretty cool, so I thought I'd share it here.

Source: https://plus.google.com/114535230223962 ... wosgrDpng4

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm

That's pretty neat! Is he using IR blasters to control the Ceton? That would be the big drawback for me......haven't used them since MCE2005 and wouldn't want to go back.

Kinda makes you wonder why Ceton didn't go with GoogleTV instead of Android.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Not sure, I'll ask :)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm

staknhalo wrote:Not sure, I'll ask :)
Please do..

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 pm

3rob3 wrote:That's pretty neat! Is he using IR blasters to control the Ceton?.
He says the Co-Star remote controls the Echo directly via IR after setup.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Thanks for the update. Really cool setup, can't wait until he posts the video of it connected to his Media Center PC (I think he said he would in the video).

I still think it has got to be HDMI-CEC or IR blasting though. For instance, he is in the GoogleTV Primetime which shows movies that are on TV now. He chooses one and it switches to that channel in Media Center. That can't be happening through the remote unless there is some sort of 2-way communication where the GoogleTV tells the remote to blast out the IR commands.
Wish there was a write-up on how he set this all up.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:23 pm

3rob3 wrote:Thanks for the update. Really cool setup, can't wait until he posts the video of it connected to his Media Center PC (I think he said he would in the video).

I still think it has got to be HDMI-CEC or IR blasting though. For instance, he is in the GoogleTV Primetime which shows movies that are on TV now. He chooses one and it switches to that channel in Media Center. That can't be happening through the remote unless there is some sort of 2-way communication where the GoogleTV tells the remote to blast out the IR commands.
Wish there was a write-up on how he set this all up.
Yeah, I saw that too... and assumed that the GoogleTV device must have blasted the channel number (because you could see the number being typed on the screen). However, it's possible that the remote is a two-way RF remote with an IR blaster in the remote... and the GoogleTV device might send the command to the remote. This would significantly simply setup, but would require your IR devices to be within line of sight from the remote (or using an IR repeater).

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:25 pm

You can see the Echo in the beginning of the video. I can't see any IR blaster. I mean the guy is using it himself; so if he says it's all via the remote - I'd say it's via the remote.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 pm

I didn't mean to infer he was lying or wrong, I am just trying to understand how it works. A quick search seems to indicate it doesn't know the WMC remote codes out of the box:
http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/goog ... le-tv.html

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 pm

I just perused the manual for the CoStar. It calls the IR in the remote a "blaster", and the remote is definitely using Bluetooth to communicate with the CoStar, so I would say that the CoStar is sending the IR commands via the remote. As for how the guy on YouTube got the CoStar to send the Media Center IR codes, I guess you'll have to ask him.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 pm

3rob3, I wasn't accusing you of any negativity or hostility; just saying "I take the guy's word for it".

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Oh, and I should add... the CoStar supports HDMI-CEC, so assuming that you have an HDMI-CEC adapter in your PC, then it should control Media Center without any special IR programming.

EDIT: Does the Echo support HDMI-CEC yet? I know it was supposed to be a supported feature, but it didn't work as of the last day I used my Echo before I shipped it back to Ceton.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:28 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I just perused the manual for the CoStar. It calls the IR in the remote a "blaster", and the remote is definitely using Bluetooth to communicate with the CoStar, so I would say that the CoStar is sending the IR commands via the remote. As for how the guy on YouTube got the CoStar to send the Media Center IR codes, I guess you'll have to ask him.
Well, that must be it then. Interesting, never heard of a remote that was also an "IR blaster" but great idea if it works well.
staknhalo wrote: 3rob3, I wasn't accusing you of any negativity or hostility; just saying "I take the guy's word for it".
All good :) . Like the link I sent before someone mentions; the amount of people using WMC and a GoogleTV is so small it's hard to find any information about pairing the two.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:30 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Does the Echo support HDMI-CEC yet?
Negative

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 am

So I couldn't resist. Sold my AppleTV 3 on craigslist and bought a Vizio Co-Star from Bestbuy on sale for $89. Long story short is I will be returning the Co-Star tomorrow. I run my Media Center directly connected to the main TV (not an extender), and it had problems with the HDMI passthu on the GoogleTV which resulted in crashes and audio device errors in Media Center. I also found the Co-Star's wifi to be really flaky even though the AppleTV worked perfect in the same location. The apps were ok, but I found them to be a little clunky, and the remote is a huge brick that kind of controlled Media Center but not fully enough for me. Anyway, all this is just my opinion but I wouldn't recommend this setup.

As a side note I got my Chromecast today and am pretty impressed with it. The simplicity and ease of use of it could make this a great solution for streaming to TV. More support in some other apps could make this a real winner.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:57 pm

I'll be picking up a Co-star this weekend. I've been scouring the internet for ways to get more functionality, and content out of WMC and extenders. This may just be it. The ability to watch, netflix, hulu, other apps + live TV, would be freaking awesome!

So far I see no downside. I'm also surprised more people haven't tried it.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 am

Awesome!! Finally youtube, Netflix, Hulu (via web browser) and WMC without changing inputs. I am honestly shocked more people haven't tried this with their extenders. This amazing. I caught myself watching TV til 2 in morning. I went and got a Co-star, and I'm loving it so far. WMC + Google TV= Awesome!

Only catch I found so far is in finding an IR code or remote option which would treat my WMC extender as a DVR. However a work around is to setup the WMC Extender as an internet media device on the Co-star which does give it full Media center controls and a Stop button.
Last edited by BCloud on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:04 am

BCloud wrote:Awesome!! Finally youtube, Netflix, Hulu (via web browser) and WMC without changing inputs. I am honestly shocked mored people haven't down this with their extenders. This amazing. I caught myself watching TV til 2 in morning. I went and got a Co-star and I'm loving it so far. WMC + Google TV= Awesome!

Only catch I found so far is in finding an IR code or remote option which would treat my WMC extender as a DVR. However a work around is to setup the WMC Extender as an internet media device on the C0-star which does give it full Media center controls and a Stop button.
I didn't realize that changing input was so hard.

Anyway, this is exactly what XBox One wants to be--the One box to control everything.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 pm

BCloud wrote:Awesome!! Finally youtube, Netflix, Hulu (via web browser) and WMC without changing inputs. I am honestly shocked mored people haven't down this with their extenders. This amazing. I caught myself watching TV til 2 in morning. I went and got a Co-star and I'm loving it so far. WMC + Google TV= Awesome!

Only catch I found so far is in finding an IR code or remote option which would treat my WMC extender as a DVR. However a work around is to setup the WMC Extender as an internet media device on the C0-star which does give it full Media center controls and a Stop button.
I'm surprised you are so happy with it. I lasted less than a day before I couldn't take how slow and jerky the UI was, and how terrible the remote was. The whole thing felt very under-powered to me.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:12 pm

3rob3 wrote:

I'm surprised you are so happy with it. I lasted less than a day before I couldn't take how slow and jerky the UI was, and how terrible the remote was. The whole thing felt very under-powered to me.
Well I run my WMC extender traffic over a wired gigabit network, so for me GTV is pretty responsive. I'll agree that the design of the control could've been better: A separate power, and channel guide button; and green button option for media center would be good.

Changing inputs is not a big deal for me. But for wife and kids who just wants it all to work, it becomes and issue. Google TV gave my WMC extenders (xbox 360) access to additional content without having to install some half baked, or no longer support plugins, nor having to pay for XBOX live on 3 extenders (since no more family pack).

I refuse to pay $500 for a Xbox one when a $80 used 360, and GTV already do what I want.