SageTV, Googletv and Motorola DVR Spectulation

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
amador

HTPC Specs: Show details

SageTV, Googletv and Motorola DVR Spectulation

Post by amador » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:25 am

Would like your thoughts if google will integrate sagetv and motorola dvr to conquer the living room.?

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:04 pm

google may well try but i cant see any of their tv releases to be tuner-orientated. it will be an direct apple tv competitor is my prediction.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:40 am

I dont know. I wonder why they would pick ip Sage if not. It doesnt seem like they would need that as their existing device is similar to apple. Tv alreqdy isn't it?
Greg

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:01 pm

A Google TV Tivo device would be quite tempting. A Sage TV like Tivo device made by Google, I would throw my wallet at my monitor. Granted I would hope it would still support the level of customization Sage did. Just have to wait and see.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:33 pm

i was just thinking about this last night and realized that if google ends up buying hulu they could then design a set -top box that could have they're own on-demand type service. it's not likely but it does make you think.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Remember, Hulu doesn't own the content...the content is owned by the various owners of Hulu. So whoever buys Hulu still has to license the content from all the owners.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:06 am

this is true, but if they charged for it how would that be any different than having a hulu plus sub. the only change i can see is the hardware that you would be watching it on.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Missing Remote has a link to a nice article that explains the problem: http://www.missingremote.com/news/2011- ... +Remote%29

A few key points from the source article:
  • "Bidders say that documents released thus far show that Hulu is not yet profitable, despite its rising revenues of $500 million in 2011. And the content deals in place with media providers such as CBS, NBC and the like expire in one year in some instances and do not extend longer than five years in any case."
  • "Hulu may be a household name, with over 1 million subscribers to its premium service and a sleek interface, but the technology isn’t revolutionary enough to justify its lofty price, media executives say -- at least not without longterm content deals."
  • "That’s where things get tricky. Hulu’s owners want to unload the site in large part because they believe they will be able to better leverage streaming rights to their movies and shows to an outside buyer."
Basically, Hulu doesn't make enough money to satisfy the current owners. The only income the current owners are getting from the website are advertising revenue and Hulu Plus subscription fees. By selling to someone else, the current owners of Hulu can make additional money because they can then charge the new owner for content....something that Hulu doesn't do today (they use a profit sharing model instead of a licensing fee model).