The taxes you pay

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 pm

I've wondered about that too, Richard. Why in the world are we paying huge sums of money to contractors to supply things like food and laundry services to our soldiers? Why doesn't the military handle that on their own? It sure seems like it would be cheaper if some of the military personnel on the base had duties to cook and do laundry, doesn't it?

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 pm

America is doing just fine with its Orwellian perpetual wars. ah well, china and Japan now own America and Germany owns Ireland. War, what is it good for (obvious queue)

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Actually (according to this), Americans own America!

-Wolf sends

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:50 pm

Time to put a few more shuttles up in orbit! :D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:14 am

I actually live on the "space coast" of Florida. I live about 20 miles south of Kennedy Space Center, and work about 5 miles north of it. My job is not tied to the space industry in anyway whatsoever... and that is by my own choice. I once had a job that was closely related to the military and aerospace industries... and I chose to leave that far behind me.

While the discontinuation of the shuttle program is a terrible thing for our local economy, I am one of the people who doesn't believe that we've gotten a good "bang for the buck" from the space program. I honestly don't see that we've gotten much for our money.

Now, as for Americans owning America... yes, it is true... American entities own 68% of the total US debt, mostly in the form of government bonds. However, that has decreased from 87% just over 20 years ago.

It's a scary proposition for our country to owe money to foreign entities... especially to those who have or would have done us harm not too long ago.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:Personally I wouldn't mind paying all the taxes etc etc if I could see what I get for it...BUT...we have rising crime, crap roads, crap (and incredibly expensive) public transport, an imploding NHS, prisons like hotels, and prisoners treated better than our pensioners! Where's the justice and fairness??
here here... why do we live here? Oh must be the great weather... 8-)

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:51 am

just read in time that the US owes $750,000,000.00 in late fees for shipping containers sent to iraq and afganistan and thats on top of the estimated 30 - 60 billion that they are finding in contractor over charging and fraud and money that was just lost. my cousin served 2 tours in afganistan and then got hired on with a contract unit in iraq. they made him a construction superintendent, the only problem with that is he had never built anything in his life. he couldn't even read a set of prints to get a job started. he told his boss about it and he told him to just figure it out. thats a little scary.